Auto to Manual tranny swap for 98 model

hey im new to this 240 car forum. earlier i posted that i purchased a 98 nissan 240sxse and i have a problem. when i bought the car it came with an automatic tranny and i wanna switch it over only because i prefer manual in a sporty car.

since i new to modding cars id rather watch and learn or get a mechanic to drop it in for me but here are a few of my concerns.

1. how relyable is this new manual tranny in an automatic car going to be?
  2. how much are parts going to cost?
  3. what parts do i need?
  4. should i just go to the wreckers for parts?
  5. how much would labour cost?
  6. how long will it take to accomplish?

thanks much appreciated.

Lets see… well, since you want to stay slow, you will want to find a manual tranny…

1. The tranny is going to be as reliable as any other car.

2. How ever much you pay for them, depending if you find a junk yard car, or if you buy oem items from your local nissan dealership. (which i highly recommend for some parts)

3. You are going to need (i am probably forgetting some stuff):
    Clutch Pedal
    Master Cylinder
    Slave sylinder
    Tranny
    Manual Driveshaft

4. see # 2

5. oh you’re not doing it yourself??? forget it, i don’t want to talk to you anymore…

Revised List

Proper Jack and Stands
Many Wrenches and Sockets
A Strong Friend to Hold the Tranny
Clutch Pedal Assembly
Brake Pedal Assembly
Clutch Master Cylinder
Clutch Slave Cylinder
Clutch Hard & Fle Line
Manual Tranny
Manual Driveshaft
Manual Tranny Brace
Manual ECU
Lower Wiring Harness (M/T)
Interior Shifter Cover
Interior Pannel w/ Boot
Shift Knob
2.4L of 75/80w - 90 Gear Oil

BAH FORGET IT !!!

If your not doing the work yourself forget it…

Labour is going to run you well over $1500…

the brake pedal can be easily cut and will work just as well as the manual pedal. u don’t REALLY need the brake pedal, though the manual one will bring it closer to the accelerator.

Dude if you cut it you do know if you get into an accident your Insurance can Deny you Coverage…

id LOVE to do it myself !! let me at it!!! oh wait where do i start, i happen to forgot that i know nothing about anything!
getting a job done right is great but getting a job done wrong and not having a car for a very long time because somthing was installed wrong is an issue i just want everything to be perfect. dont get me wrong i seariously would like to have a hand full of guys come work on my car if they knew exactly what they were doing, i would supply anything and everything, although my biggest concern/worry is the thought of my car getting screwed

now, continue with the flaming…

ive wanted to do this swap for the longest time. and yah labour is jst way too much at a shop

Clutch Pedal Assembly - No
Brake Pedal Assembly - No
Clutch Master Cylinder - No
Clutch Slave Cylinder - Yes
Clutch Hard & Fle Line - No
Manual Tranny - Yes
Manual Driveshaft - No
Manual Tranny Brace - No
Manual ECU - No
Lower Wiring Harness (M/T) - No
Interior Shifter Cover - No
Interior Pannel w/ Boot - No
Shift Knob - Yes

Will a dealership do such a conversion or do you have to take it another shop?

Sure, but you could buy a whole second car with a Five Speed
Trany already in it for what they would charge you with.

Best bet is if you have an A/T either sell it and get a M/T of if
you don’t want to sell it do the swap yourself. It’s not that hard.

Nobody is going to screw your car up. SHIFT_SR20DET and Sasha did this
conversion on boMex’s car and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the
swap. It isn’t hard at all, and if it works fine on boMex’s car it would work
fine on yours.

Sometimes Nike says it best “Just Do It.”

your right… i might go along with just swapping it myself or with a few friends during the summer but id have to get some sort of experience for doing it. if anyone is doing a engine swap of anysort give me a call ill lend a hand. thanks :!:

We would do it for you. Supply pizza and beer and you will attract a crowd of knowledable SON members to work on your car.

Just remember the dirtier the job, the more incentive needed :smiley:

Ive got lotsa pizza and beer!!! who wants to help me do the swap?!!!

markham dude.

where would i buy a the middle console for inside the car to replace my existing automatic console?? im referring to the shifter because i notice for automatic its really far away.

anyone have an approx price for the grand total for the tranny swap compared to the sr swap?

Some people say teh tranny swap will run from 600-1000 max.

No one really has comparable data between the sr and tranny swap since it’s like comparing apples and oranges. They’re both fruits but completely different.

Hey guys as some of you may know my parts car is up for sale. My 91 is automatic and the 89 is manual what parts are interchangable between the two?

I know the question was asked about a 95 but this is e to de is there any difference?

Calling nissan in a few days.

Maybe there will be an endless supply of pizza and beer

Cheers

Bryce