Converting a Garage Man Door into a Sliding glass door???

Any ideas on how difficult/easy this might be?

As of right now I have an attached garage with a man door leading to the backyard. What I am looking to do it to convert that man door to a sliding glass door.

Thanks!

i would venture to say its medium diffuculty and a diy can do it.

If it’s in a bearing wall you’ll need a wider / stronger header.

this^ .
just jack up the wall on that side (support it), take out the door, decide where you want to put the door, cut out existing studs. Assuming you have siding you need to take it all off in that area on that side. cut out the plywood. Make header. make jack posts, stud on each side (depending on your centers maybe you will need 2, idk.) put in door. reside. bam.

now if you do that, and your garage falls down or the door breaks as soon as you relieve pressure don’t blame me.

Pictures would help to determine if its a bearing wall or not.

More info will help. How old is the the house? (or that part of the house). Is it finished or can you see the studs? How close is the ceiling to the top of the current door? How wide of a door were you looking to put in? (6’, 8’,9’?) What kind exterior materails (vinyl siding, aluminum, brick, wood, etc?)

X…

what is a man door? is this the just a normal door? is a door out of a kitchen called a woman door?

1. 1972 house was built
  2. unfinished - yes you can see the studs
  3. top of door to ceiling roughly 6-7 ft.
  4. Exterior - aluminum siding

I’ll snap some pictures when I get home from work…

chances are its a load bearing wall cause most man doors on garages are on an outside wall which are usually load bearing…the others were right you will prolly need a larger header, most likely you are about doubling the open wall area for the slider vs a man door…found this real quick

Header Size Maximum Span Number of Trimmers
Double 2x6 4’-0" . One
Double 2x 8 5’-0". Two
Double 2x10 6’-2" Two
Double 2x12 7’-1" Two

:tup: :lol:

Gable end usually = not load bearing
Eve side usually = load bearing