Cooler Brakes : How Tos?

Well you are combining two idea into one, so i will explain each.

ok think of it this way. When you use your brakes, they produce X amount of heat. That heat is spread out over the entire rotor. For example say 30* per cubic inch. Now cross drill and slot the rotors. Now you just reduced the amout of area the heat can spread. You are still producing the same amount of heat, but have less space to spread it out. So now you would have 40* per cubic inch.

The second part is that the slots and holes cause more friction. Therefore more friction = more heat = hotter rotor temps.

I dont remeber where i picked up the info but i’ve read it a few different places.

FYI, if you cross drill and slot a rotor, you are increasing the surface area of the rotor.

lol why is that

yeah thats what i thought. also, and i know this is severe keyboard engineering, but wont introducing air, wether through slots, or cross drilled holes bring in a cooling effect when the rotor isnt under the surface of the pad, and thus not seeing any friction? damnit. am i going to have to go to the library to get a book?

You are correct in your assumptions. There is a delecate balance of slotting, cross drilling and what have you. Whenever you slot drill etc, you are taking away surface area for the pad to contact the rotor, thus decreasing the efficiency of the pad & rotor combination. However, drilling and slotting increases the surface area of the rotor because you are creating more surface area for the brakes to give off heat. Thus you increase the cooling of the rotor. Now, for the street, you will probably never see or really feel the difference, but on the track is becomes more and more apparent the more you are on the brakes.

Audios, I can give you the knowledge from the book just by shooting the shit with you. We have looked into all of this here at SSBC…

so what is better…drilling or slutting