Rear racing brakes

I’m on the verge of ordering some light weight rear brakes and want some real world info on veined vs solid. The car is going to be used on the street, will solid rotors be ok on the rear? Slightly worried about them overheating on highway pulls.

The front brakes are 4 piston 14" rotors which will probably do 75-80% of the braking, but I’m guessing the car can see speeds if ~175mph every now and then.

I would just get vented if high way street pulls are your thing…

I just looked into this a lot for the mustang and a lot are fine if you’re doing a single drag race blast and they cool off but back to back highway pulls :tif:

Word, I was hoping I could get away with the single solid discs as they save ~8lbs rotating mass. I’ll just have to make more power. Some guys on Yellow bullet say they are fine, others say no way. I guess i’ll play it safe and just go vented.

there is almost certainly no need to upgrade from stock unless turning is involved and since anything is overkill it doesn’t matter. Unless doing repeated stops like on a circuit I can’t see you getting into fade with any modern car and a decent compound back there. On top of that you can run ducting and cool them.

I’ve found in racing that cryo treated rotors work great and are worth the money.

Its more so I can run a 15" wheel vs a 17" wheel.

Honestly I’m 99% sure you’ll be fine using a standard rear “mini brake rotor” for what you’re doing. I run the scalloped and drilled rear ones on my car and was frequently doing pulls back when I was all about that life a few years back and I still have the original ones on the car from about 3 years ago on it. Maybe just use a standard non scalloped version in your case for extra “safety”

going for a smaller size makes sense like you said. you can get around heat by using a compound that runs at higher temps if this is limited use. the luxury way to go would be vented so you get to run a more streetable pad on a heavier rotor that disapates heat better.

Having a good quality rotor (non vented is acceptable) good quality pad and fresh Fluid you should be fine. Some cars used to have solid rotors in the front (like a2 Jettas). Do not underestimate the effectiveness of fresh fluid

Call Aerospace or Strange tell them you want to take a 3300lb+ car and do multiple high speed stops in a row and see what they tell you :slight_smile:

Well the fronts are 14" vented rotors if that helps lol

170+ speeds are no joke i would go vented with a agressive compound. The benefit of saving a few lbs is quickly out weighed by a high speed incident.

My 450hp audi a8 started to loose its brakes after doing back to back races with a 2011 audi s4. I didnt expect to be able to fade 47 lb 385mm brakes. Each rotor is 47lbs! Agressive high speed stops make a massive amount of heat