CoPart Auto Auction <- Anyone ever used these guys?

Anyone ever use these guys for buying/delivering salvaged cars? I’m leaning towards it as I don’t know anyone out here who can get into salvage auctions.

This guy who used to work for us did this on the side. Now makes a living off this.

Can be shady unless you know exactly what you’re looking at.

Keep in mind on some of the stuff there are undisclosed lot fees, storage fees, transport fees (from the back of the yard up to the pickup zone) etc that will fuck you over for $300-$1k per purchase. Also, you need to put a minimum amount of cash down to have access to bidding rights, as well as (in most states) show that you have a licensed business or dismantling company to purchase salvage vehicles.

Most of that my research led me to; The only difference is the licensed business/dismantling company is what this auction company acts as so “normal” people can buy these cars. The fees are not pleasant (I’m figuring about $800-$1k for the fees and delivery to my place), but reasonable for someone without contacts in the industry.

Yep, just wanted to make sure you were aware and didn’t think the selling price was all was owed :slight_smile:

That is good advice. Sometimes auction fees can be brutal. I know justin is registered for a couple auctions. It might be worth a phone call or message to him to see if he can help you.

Issue then becomes I have to get the car from Buffalo to SLC, UT; I’m already making that trip in July to get my Firebird out here, and I really don’t want to make that drive more than I have to; Plus the cost of the gas round-trip plus time off work, etc is the same or more than the auction/delivery fees. (It cost me something like $400 in gas when I moved out here last year, that was one-way with a Cruze on a tow-dolly.)

Copart is huge I go by it like twice a week for work always wanted to stop in

i couldnt register even with an auto parts business licenses. i tried this like 3 months ago when a G35 coupe came through a CARSTAR store with some stuff on it that i wanted…

Mike hit the nail on the head

The fee to sign up is hefty (some are $200 some are $600). It’s often not until then that you find out you need a salvage license specific to each state to bid on certain vehicles. fees are in the hundreds ($300 minimum typically) and storage fees often start immediately and are $25-50 per day. Buyer fee, pull out fee, internet bidder fee, etc. In NYS retail dealers are allowed to do 25% salvage, but that doesn’t pertain to the salvage bidder cards per state: you need to be a salvage-specific business to get approval.

Interesting… as the FAQ/information on their website doesn’t say anything about needing to be a salvage-specific business. They do state the fees, $150/year, $200 per won auction, and a $400 refundable deposit (after car is paid for/left lot, or if you don’t buy).

http://www.autobidmaster.com/howtobuy-copart-auto-auctions/fees/

As for the salvage business:

http://www.autobidmaster.com/howtobuy-copart-auto-auctions/questions/