Cossey: Ban?

Cossey: If you post one more racial slur or comment, you will be banned for 7 days.

First off. You will not ban me. What I type on this forum is protected under the constitution of the united states. Unless my post is illegal or provokes an illegal act, I can, in layman terms, say whatever the hell I want. (See excerpt below).

Second off. My post was clearly a joke. If you want to be a tree-hugging happy liberal and whine about it not being PC go ahead. But do NOT threaten my rights as an individual.

Third off: (Disclaimer): I have many black friends, we joke around, saying shit like I posted ALL the time. They laugh, I laugh. It is all in fun. If I offended anyone, I apologize but I will not be held to a double standard.

If there is in fact a law/rule that does not go against my rights, that states using the phrase “nigglet = speedbump” please show me a copy and I will willingly follow that rule.

Do I whine when people call me a Ginny or Italian Stallion? No. Why? Because it is actually fine with me. If it wasn’t fine with me I would cease to associate with that person. And if there are people who are going to take my post out of context and grind into a “racial slur” as you so eloquently put it. I don’t want to be associated with them either. RELAX.

Freedom of speech on the Internet

In a rare 9-0 decision, the Supreme Court extended the full protection of the First Amendment to the Internet in Reno v. ACLU, a decision which struck down portions of the 1996 Communications Decency Act, a law intended to outlaw so-called “indecent” online communication (that is, non-obscene material protected by the First Amendment.) The court’s decision extended the same Constitutional protections given to books, magazines, films, and spoken expression to materials published on the Internet. Congress tried a second time to regulate the content of the Internet with the Child Online Protection Act (COPA). The Court again ruled that any limitations on the internet were unconstitutional in American Civil Liberties Union v. Ashcroft (2002).

this could get good.

subscribed.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/415/popcornt.gif

check forums terms of use… as much as our freedom of speech may be protected under the constitution if there is such a rule that prohibits its use on a private site or forum it is at the moderator/administrators discretion on course of action to be taken… (ie: banning) so as much as i agree with your comments… in lehmans terms… you’re fucked.

I agree with OP, however I’d imagine the owner of the site (person/group paying for hosting services) would have final say on the matter.

Their final say has to be within the rights of the constitution. Just because I own 150 acres dosen’t mean anyone who enters that property can legally murder someone. Constitutional rights apply to anything within the United States, including PUBLIC viewed forums.

EXCEPT for the fact that you agreed to a terms of service agreement upon signing up for the site… (you know, all that fine print BS that noone ever reads) by applying for a membership/ screenname on this site you promised to abide by such rules/laws of this forum. in essence forfeiting those inalienable rights of free speech in which you now must abide by the “laws of the land” so to speak… therefore you would be in breach of contract and subject to ban upon occurrance of any offense and at the mercy of aforementioned moderators/admins…

but yet again… i agree with your stance…

You’re really going to make a big deal over offensive language? We all know damn well you wouldn’t go up to someone and say it so why say it on here? Constitutional right or not, when you say stuff like that it gives people a bad vibe about you. Especially being a business owner, i’m sure you wouldn’t want your clients to see or hear what your saying and typing.

wait what?

I lol’d at thaty speed bump comment. I am black, and not offended. Un ban him now!

C’mon man, why so serious? No one is going to take the constitutionality of words on a screen seriously, especially here where it’s 10% racewars and 90% making fun of PJB.

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/9260/n1ggers.jpg

Don’t be that guy. :thumbup

OP is a tard.

I don’t see how it has to be though. The admin and can ban anyone he wants. He might have to deal with the consequences like other people getting pissed off and leaving the site, but other than that, how will it affect him?

lol @ this thread and “You will not ban me!” :rofl

I would have never thought you were black from your forum name… :lol

Right. ^

I looked into it even further. Banning a forum member without LEGAL cause is considered discrimination. Private server or not, signed agreement or not. You can NOT be legally banned for what you say or type, as long as it does not have anything to do with being illegal.

This rule is not widely known which is why banning has become accepted on forums. Breaking a law on the internet = breaking a law in real life. There are penalties for these actions. Nowhere in any post did I break the law.

OMG I AM SO OFFENDED by this comment.

Mod, please ban for offensive language.

See where this is going?

:facepalm You dont understand what you’re talking about.

Yeah I have been meaning to change it to a more PC name but cant figure out how to do it.

Really can someone tell me quick on how to change my name?

so what you’re saying is in essence its the same thing as going in to work and calling your boss a n****r and you being able to sue him when he fires you on the spot. dont get it twisted i see where you’re comming from but i also think there is a bit of common sense on what you can say and where whether it be written or spoken.

kinda like going to the million man march and wearing a KKK robe… sure you can do it but you’re going to have to deal with its consequences.

wait, is Cossey under 99’s username? I am totally confused right now.