How are we (Shift518) doing?

Well time for a casual inquisition on how we are doing and where we stand at the moment as a board.

Feel free to express your most recent general thoughts and feelings and areas that need to be approved on, such as things missing, things wanted but still not here that were promised to be present etc…

I’ll start off with my general feeling of the board - it’s getting a little too close to the “line” and often the line is crossed. I’ve had a large number of notifications about racial slurs being omnipresent and I’ve setup a filter for such content. Some members have tried to avoid it and get around it to try to get the point across.

People defending some variations of slurs which are technically not slurs, you’ve got no point because the only reason you use that term instead of the politically correct term is to use it as a demeaning term, so don’t try to be willy nilly just because you don’t say the term directly.

Other than that the winter season is going over smoothly, we’re getting closer to tying up lose ends on the new software and so far vB is working out pretty well.

As a small update, the blog page is still being developed and the debate on gallery is also open. New layouts are on the horizon.

Your turn. :open_mouth:

No complaints from me :up

We want our racial slurs back:rofl

yes!

fix the rep thing.

*** should word filter to peanut butter. make it happen.

im good. except not much activity.

Not much activity on the forum? Or not much activity from you?

I’ve actually had some trouble keeping up lately, I’ll find there to be 4 or 5 pages of new posts if I don’t check it once or twice a day.

Haven’t done much modding as it seems alot of my privs are gone :squint

I say freedom of speech be enabled

im at best buy checking out a netbook, they are pretty cool. but as for activity, not much in the battlefield. we need some heated debates

Brett is a prick!!!, lets fight it out bitch!!!

hehe, jk

no i am, i know this.

the forums are good still getting used to vb but its good but we need a smiles menu to makes things ez but i like it

and i agree with Dan brett is a prick haha

I think singh is lazy as fuck and we should fire him

wheres the blog page already !?!?

LOL , no i really mean that lol

More build threads, more detailed write ups, less OT stuff.

Not too much you can do to direct that. But I’m sure you could think of a few things.

I agree with the above post that there is not a whole lot of technical content, but then again I don’t think that’s the aim of Shift. For platform specific content, there’s always _____.net (insert platform of your choice).

Although several members are mechanically and technically inclined, the membership has not yet grown to the point where there are going to be meaningful technical discussions on a regular basis.

Usually, when a member does post hefty tech content, one of three things happen:

1. there are :bowdown/props from those who learn off the content but otherwise have nothing else of real value to add to it
  2. it turns into a bench racing / e-thugging / my dad’s schlong is _____ type of thread
  3. someone posts a well written comment or question that furthers the discussion

(2) can be highly entertaining, but really defeats the purpose of a technical discussion. As for (3), this happens about as often as you see a build thread without a BS flag / request for trap speed.

As for setting up car-related meets / social activities in the Capital District, I’ve directly participated in only one of these, but based on this experience Shift has been a useful tool in promoting car-related meets / etc. Once again, good for “the scene”.

I’ve also bought and sold a couple of things off Shift, so classifieds is another useful thing.

I have also noticed the recent proliferation of derogatory remarks on the board, and although freedom of speech is important- hiding behind it as a blanket defense can be pretty weak. Either you believe that there is a line that should not be crossed, or you don’t. Just remember what it’s like when the line is then crossed and you’re on the receiving end.

In any case, getting involved in these heated battles / debates about it is not really a good use of time for me so I don’t. I just avoid reading it and hope that those behind it are able to let go of their narrow minded views at some point in their lives.

To the Shift Team- thanks for your efforts.

You should think about where you want to go with this board, and when this objective is well defined, it will be possible for you to evaluate whether or not you are moving towards that goal or not.

wheres my smilies

a few suggestions for the site:

#1 make a sig show up only in the last post of that user. This will make scrolling with mobile devices much easier.

#2, make posts in the garbage bin NOT show up in the New Posts section.
I don’t know if you can do that, but it would help people sort through the tons and tons of threads that pop up on here every day and also make it more likely for people to post in tech/automotive sections.

Is there a way to have a mobile version of the forum? Would that be an add-on to vB? Too much work?

More members with technical information