COVID-19 Pandemic Thread [NY Now Closes All Biz]

“An incident occurred at a local grocery store involving juveniles reportedly coughing on produce, while filming themselves and posting it on social media.”

@Onyx_Z32

1 Like

Gents, how bad is it downstate right now and how is it viewed by those upstate?

No idea how bad it is downstate since I’m here in WNY. Sounds bad from what I see in the media.

Here in WNY it’s starting to feel like we’re 2nd class citizens to NYC as usual. Cuomo bragging about how many people he’s testing in NYC while the Erie County health commissioner is on the news begging for test kits because they can barely test anyone.

Hi all! the key to this is it is based of off Adjusted Gross Income. For those of us that have small businesses this is awesome. Not gonna delve into specifics of write-offs and such but there is an income threshold that we shoot for annually with kids to maximize our taxable situation. It puts us squarely inline to get a majority of their payment. New outdoor kitchen here I come!

Anyhow, as for this virus. I am essential (for the electric construction side of my life) but mostly working from home. I am still doing inspections almost daily and just not letting people attend. Someone has to teach my savages math so my home time I have turned into a teacher/janitor.

I have a lot of family downstate and I have a couple of positive cases. Last week my cousin got a letter from her kids school that there was a positive case in the school. He said he didn’t know the kid but they were in lunch and a class together. Well short version the kids are healthy but my cousin and her husband are positive. They now have to let their teenagers manage the house while they quarantine themselves. Another cousin is a bank manager in Albany and she is being forced to show up as the employees are all bailing in fear.

My wife is a manager for M&T corporate locally and she is mostly working from home but has the same problem with employees burning all of their PTO to avoid the office. Her boss issued a guidance trying to be helpful allowing staff to work 4 days home 1 day in office, it made sense. What is actually happening is on the 1 day in office everyone is calling in “sick”. So much for that idea.

This is what I see as the driving break point. Cuomo keeps saying all of this is necessary even if to save one life. Well the reality of the economy will start to set in and I think that will start to change. My staff is all Union and paid well. Most of them are outside of this low income threshold but the young guys that are just starting out making like $12 an hour really need their checks. These are the people that will be the first dominoes to fall.

1 Like

@tpgsr, did any of your famjam that tested positive actually have any symptoms or any even moderate illness of any kind?

Good to hear from you, was actually going to reach out for you for our next home inspection. Put the search on hold for the moment with everything going on, but hopefully we’ll resume once this is over. Hope things are ok with all of your family.

1 Like

Lindsey Gram just said their goal with small business is to keep people getting their same paychecks for the next 6 weeks.

Hopefully we have some more details later today. I did hear they wanted to vote at about 3pm, which gives time before the daily press briefing at 4:30pm.

@tpgsr how many employees does the electric biz have? My wife’s company is in the 700’s so just outside the 500ppl limit.

Erie County was added to the SBA website as of yesterday; https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela/Declarations/DeclarationDetails?declNumber=6063499&direct=false

This isn’t for what’s working it’s way through congress right now though.

Went to wegmans not too long ago, life looks pretty normal while driving around. Obviously not much going on at night.

Same, pretty quiet tonight there. Still no paper products but at least I could get me some penne for dinner. We probably were there about the same time.

Senate Bill doesn’t pass procedural vote. The Hill reporting Pelosi wants to add $10k of student loan forgiveness and election security funding. :expressionless:

Where are we talking about coronavirus in this bitch?

I’ve been hoping something would shut the NBA down anyWays so no loss there.

No more travel from Europe for 30 days? Awesome.

My guess, this is the end of Trump’s presidency. Too many clips of, “We’re doing the best at handling this in the world” while his administration completely fucks it up. As of today Pence is still out there bragging about how much they’ve slowed the spread compared to other counties. YOU HAVEN’T SLOWED SHIT YOU JEBUS LOVING/SCIENCE HATING FUCK. We’re just grossly behind other countries in testing people. NY is just starting to get a decent amount of testing and guess what, our cases are skyrocketing.

Trump has got to drop Pence as his “Virus Czar” and get someone in charge with an epidemiology background. Even if he does that tomorrow the damage to his administration as this virus goes on to infect half the country may already be irreversible.

1 Like

adjust your perspective.

i have made calls to physicians and i cannot get a test up here. of course, i feel fine and i have no symptoms but i’ve asked doctors and i’ve called both of the phone numbers the province has set up for information and i cannot get through at all.

you guys shut down travel from china way early which could be considered brilliant at this point. shutting down travel from europe also a good move.

Don’t worry, your GEOTUS called for a National day of prayer. That’ll fix it

Meanwhile NY’s cases jumped by 30% today and DeBlasio is about to issue a shelter in place order for NYC.

just to update you, i have made a few more phone calls about getting a voluntary covid test. my doctor cannot do it, they directed me to call another phone number.

the phone number instructs you to leave a voicemail and they will call you back.

i left a voicemail, i’ll let you know how it goes.