Craigslist FTW

I have a habit of not bringing my used oil back until it becomes a big storage problem in my garage. This time I let it build to 23 gallons and since most places will only take 5 gallons at a time it was looking like a big PITA to get rid of.

Threw it up on CL in the free section Sunday evening and a few hours later I had 3 people email me wanting to pick it up. Monday afternoon it was gone.

So if you’re looking to unload a bunch of used oil looks like quite a few people have built waste oil burners and are willing to do pickups. :tup:

EDIT: I made the same CL post over the summer and didn’t get a single response. I guess the key is waiting until heating season.

You should have just burned it. To heat your house.

I have a lot of old oil in my garage too, probably 20+gallons…I’ll have to get it all together (random 2 litre soda bottles and laundry soap bottles)and list it for free. Good idea thx

I have a natural gas furnace, I don’t think it would be happy running on used oil.

I have considered building a waste oil furnace to use in my garage though.

my dad and I drove down to uhm… fuck…
schenectady (or however the fuck you spell it) to pick up a waste oil heater off CL.

fucking kicks ass, really.
nearly odorless, doesn’t put all the moisture in the air.
My dad used to use LP bottles to heat the garage, but every since tool in the garage would get covered in moisture.
and the windows would, the car windows… everything.
and the gas smell… no big deal though.

plus it got expensive!
usually rather froze than paid to fill up the tanks.

But now, we just go and get oil… wherever.
if you guys want to get rid of it, ill take some.

My cousin just opened up a auto repair shop, so we’re getting some oil from him.

But really, it’s so fucking cheap.
just need a decent air compressor really. (and by decent, I mean a cheapo 3gal pancake can work)

Heats his ~900sqft garage up to 70 in about an hour… From ~20-30.
That’s including the 15-20minute warmup stage where it’s just preheating the oil.

Fucking nice.
all I’ve got to say about them.
Very, very fucking nice.

Before my cousin opened up his shop, my dad actually got 55gal waste oil drums from the Honda Dealership (ray laks, or whatever the one is that closed).
Mainly because he bought his new interceptor from there, and knew the guys there.

Just gotta make sure there’s no gas, antifreeze, water or crap in the oil (or a very low amount of it).
gas doesn’t blow up… just puts out the pilot.
same with all the others.

If you ever thought about it…
fucking do it.
buy a used one.

They’re really simple in reality…
and saves a fuckton of money especially if you get oil for free (which, is not hard… considering stores have to pay to dispose of it, when they accept it for free… which = loss for them!)

what did you store all that oil in?

My M5 takes 9 QTS of oil at each oil change and i cant even find a sealed container to hold all of it at once…

Know anyone who works in the food business? The 5 gallon pails that things like soap for dishwashers come in are perfect for this.

if anyone needs huge frier grease jugs lmk I throw away at least 1 a night, I think they’re around 5 GAL

ps I gave away my old twin sized bed on craigslist… I listed my phone #. bad idea. people looking for free beds on craigslist are fucking creeeeeeepy

im pretty sure licatas uses the same thing to heat their shop, it gets toasty in there

Awesome idea. This is how I’ll be getting rid of a shit ton of old oil. :tup:

if you come to my work ill take it all from ya as a nice guy that i am

Well, I buy my oil in the big jugs so that helps. The boat take 5 gallons of the enviro-friendly antifreeze to winterize, so there is another 5. Windshield washer fluid bottles are pretty heavy duty, so there’s a few more. When you drop oil off at Advance they give you hour jugs back too.

My drain pan holds around 8 quarts I think. I know when I did the Expedition trans I had to empty it a few times just to drain the trans/torque convertor.

I give away a ton of stuff on CL and I don’t think I’ve had an experience that wasn’t WEIRD.
-The crazy lady who picked up an old set of VW seats, but had no VW nor any plan for them, but acted like I just gave her a free suitcase full of cash.
-The rednecks who removed and took a massive wooden swingset full of bees, that they barely disassembled, and drove away with it sticking up so far out of the truck that it was taking tree branches down all down the road.
-The guy who drove from the OHIO/PA border to WNY for free old shitty hay, with an open car trailer behind a rusty K5 Blazer. He spent the whole time yelling at his kids in hilarious fashion, and he barely took any of the hay! His daughter announced that her name is “Skylet” but “All the kids at school keep calling me Skillet”. I almost lost my shit.:lol:
-The 4 people in 3 trucks that showed up to remove the old Cackord that was buried in my backyard.

I try to do the “curb alert” thing whenever possible. People will take ANYTHING.

:lol: :rofl:

If you go to the bakery dept at Wegmans they have these like 4ish gallon buckets with lids that they get the frosting etc in. They usually toss out 5-10/day, or more. They always run them through the diswasher so they are super clean too.

If you call they are usually more than nice enough to set whatever they get aside for you.

We prob got at least 15 of these over the summer to use for the tree watering. A few I had lying around that I didnt put holes in for the watering became oil storage.

Dan

Thats cool, i got like a few jugs in the garage.