Crankcase Ventilation

This might be a little late to post but I figured I would ask and see what the public thinks of my ventilation scheme.

Since last year, I got rid of the stock intake manifold in favor of a sheetmetal one. The SMIM does not have a vac line for a PCV so I had to get creative. What I decided to do after reading a bit on other forums is to screw in a barb on the turbo intake pipe. That barb connects to one end of a baffled catch-can. The other end of the catch can connects to an open valve on the valve cover where the PCV would be. Basically the vacuum of the turbo creates the force necessary to ventilate the crankcase of excess pressure. Instead of the intake filling with garbage (oil and such), the catch can does. It’s very important that you get a baffled catch-can so the crank-case ventilated oil does not coat the interior of your intake pipe. I could use the stock PCV but I doubt there is going to be any worry of it backing back into the crankcase because of the catch-can I chose so a one way valve is not necessary. I chose the Greddy unit ( http://www.cardomain.com/item/GRE13500509 ) which has a fill level indicator. This is by no means proven to work but the theory is at least feasible.

Yes, you set that up correctly. Provided the baffled catch can works properly. Pulling vacuum in your crankcase is always a good thing, keeps things running something and properly lubed. And it’s nice to see you’re using your intake to do that and not pumping the fumes/liquid back in there and pissing away power/economy on your turbo car. Granted, I’m probably just rehashing all the research you’ve done :wink:

The stock setup (hhaha, what’s stock?? :wink: ) has two barbs off the valve cover, one for the PCV and the other to the rubber snorkle intake pipe that was rather small. I’ve plumbed them both to the dirty side of the catch can and connected the clean side to the pipe. In a sense, it’s a more efficient way to do what the Mitsubishi engineers had intended but without the hastle of being compliant as far as NYS goes. Obviously the parts I used are larger than stock but the concept is very similar. What they don’t know won’t hurt them… :wink:

This is a decent way to go about ventilation, but even with a catch can your still going to suck oil into the intake track. Shouldnt be that bad though, just a small amount. Im going to vent mine to the exhaust, and maybe put a inline separator in to catch any oil before it goes through my exhaust. I picked up a Mr Gasket kit at K&S last wk that includes 1 way check valves, and slashcut tubing used for this setup. You really dont need the kit, it can easily be made. All you need is to find some 1 way check valves.

Oh yeah, read this thread
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1199935

nice idea, ive been working out a way to do my PCV as well, on my cold air intake before i was turbo there was the hose that came from the valvecover into a port on the CAI, but when i went turbo i was dumping that hose to the ground. then i read up on how much better it is for the car for that to be working properly, so i went and bought a cheap PCV valve, and hooked it back up into the IC piping from the vavle cover, but put a PCV valve in there so it doesnt force stuff in backwards on boost.

What made you deside to use the intake side of turbo to pull the vacum and not have the exhaust pull it? I think it will work great, just wanted to you know alittle more about your thought process. Also you can run a small vacum pump to pull the vacum out if this doesnt work how you want it.

For one, my exhaust is not finished yet. I wanted to get as much finished as possible before it was out of my hands. Secondly, I was worried about the nipple getting too hot for the hose I used if I were to get the vacuum source from the exhaust. If I were to put it down stream enough, that’s all the more line I would need. All those factors is why I chose to go the route I did.

Got ya. Post up results when you get the car running :tup: IM interested in seeing how this set up will work and if the catch can will be able to keep all the oil out. This will also free up HP for you.