Cross Country move: Experienced opinions needed.

Tonque weight is 40lbs~ empty. No big.

what is your towing capacity, 3600 pounds? something to think about. Stay as far below your towing limit as possible. You have mountains to get over to get to cali, ie- think of struggling car in arizona temps. I think towing limit includes the shit you packed into your car too. Take it easy going up hills.

I was going to say pack the heaviest stuff behind the trailer wheels if possible to decrease tongue weight, but there isn’t much trailer behind the wheels. Might want to invest in heavier coils for the back of your sub, cause your tongue weight is probably going to be much more than a hundred pounds when loaded based on the design of the trailer and how you end up loading it.

Should be ok if you take it easy on the hills.

Made it safe and sound. The car took the trip exceptionally well, averaging 70mph and 18mpg throughout the ~2600 mile, 5 day trip. I had no issues in the heat of western AZ, and the hills getting into Orange county. :tup:

California is certainly different. It’ll take some getting used to, but I am going to make the best of this experience.

miss you man, sometimes i just lay underneathe your old desk and cry

You wouldn’t be the first one under there. How do you think Geehee got those AC units so cheap?

Great to hear! Also good that it pulled the trailer no problem, the V style trailers are really nice. 18mpg isn’t too shabby at all either, I knew it wouldn’t’ be an issue.

I would have cracked 20 if I didn’t have to put my mtn bike on the roof. The trailer was PACKED.

It’s a valuable life skill.

Since you made it I assume you didn’t follow this guy’s advice.

NEVER load a trailer with more weight in the back than the front. Without more weight on the tongue than the back any trailer, but especially a single axle, the trailer going to sway uncontrollably at speed.

The trailer was packed very well, and my tongue weight was no more than 150ish lbs. Tracked straight as fuck the whole trip.

EDIT: and to your point JayS, I distributed my weight ~60/40 over the axles.

:tup: feel free to stop by irvine and hang

I work in Santa Ana, so it’s super close… chances are I may end up snagging an apt in either Irvine or Huntington beach in the next 3 mo or so…

Maybe we can ride sometime? Although, the CB is acting up pretty badly, missing all over the place now. seems like a fueling issue since both plugs looks whiter than normal. Wrench sometime?

LOL funny you should suggest that…

just got back last night from a 3 day/700 mile trip with the sporty and the tires are SMOKED

meanwhile the triumph isnt firing up :ham:

ugh. fuckkkkk…
do not miss that at ALL.

let’s take a stock f-150… 2 inch lift on the rear… 12 inch lift on the front. they actually deemed it the “Cali lift”

I think maxwell understood that you can vary the ride characteristics by how you load. I didn’t suggest that you should pack everything behind the wheels and leave the front empty, just that a really tongue heavy load isn’t good either. Load distribution is something you should think about when loading, and he obviously took that into account.

Glad to hear that everything went perfectly.

I literally saw 2 of these this morning. Stock f150’s. ugh

ha get used to em pal.

also tires for the chopper just ordered and the triumph is back up and running :tup:

What was wrong with it? I have no idea where to start with the CB… gonna take the tank and carbs off, check grounds etc, and clean the hell out of the carbs/tank.

i cant believe after all the work you put into it that it still runs bad

That’s how it goes owning an old bike.