Current Non-Car Project... Custom 55G Aquarium and Stand

Mods - please move if in the wrong spot!

Been working on this for a while, stopped, now am finally finishing it. Know it’s not car related, but it’s still a cool project in my mind.

Wanted something different than the normal “picture” background tank with a few things decorating it so… I started this project.

55 Gallon, custom built stand; with a foam/cement background

Tank stand is all 3/4" finish-grade plywood

Has all the electronics built in; 10 outlets; 2 controlled by 2 different electronic timers; all back to a GFI 20A outlet. 4-bulb VHO Ballast in the stand (running 4 4’ VHOs in the hood which isn’t made yet)

And the Sytrofoam/concrete background which I’m still working on.
Basically just Blue rigid styrofoam glued together with aquarium silicone. Carved into rough shape; then some spray-foam added where needed and carved. Then VERY carefully took a MAPP gas torch to it to “melt” the foam to get a rougher surface so the concete will adhere.
Built it in 3 pieces so I can get it into the tank when they’re done.

Raw foam, ready for concrete/cement

After partial coating:

Completely covered with 2-3 layers of cement:

Used Type N cement with the latex additive for better adhesion; and holy crap does the latex additive make a difference…

Now I’ve got some color additives for the cement I’m going to use for the final coatings of the backgrounds.

Then TONS of silicone to bond them to the tank glass. Then fill with salt-water for like a week with powerheads to fully cure the cement. Then I’ll empty and refill and start the cycling while I’m doing the hood.

I’ll post more pics as I make more progress

(Some are cell-phone pics so the quality isn’t the best)

very cool

move it to OT

lol, sorry, I am an asshole. It’s actually a pretty cool project.

Awesome project! What kind of creatures are you going to be putting in there when its completed?

It’s replacing a 30G tank that the fish have outgrown…

There’s a 7-8" std Pleco; a 7-8" Pictus Catfish, and 2 4" Gourami’s.

It’s going to be a planted tank; so it should make the tank even more interesting. I’ll probably add some more stock once it’s up and running depending on how things look/go.

Nice project buddy. Let me know if you need a hand moving this.

i was just talking the other day about a nice fish tank, i was saying the only way i would do it is if i had a huge tank and did it right

I’ve got a 125G tank I picked up the other day with a TON of extra crap included for $160!!! so that’s in the garage waiting… that’s the next one of these I do, although I’m not sure what I’m going to use it for. Was planning on doing a new tank for the wife’s turtle as he’s outgrowing his 55G… but may go with a SW tank instead… not sure.

^ Just remember with 125 gallons you’re talking about over 1000lbs of water, +tank +rocks. Don’t want to see it go from a 1st floor to a basement tank the fast way.

lol that cracked me up

Oh I know… I know where I want to put the tank in my house, and have already planned on doing some reinforcing in the basement; and adding at least 3 of the steel jack-posts under the tank. Better to be safe than sorry.