My Sunday Construction Project.

I was very sick of looking at the stand that the previous tank owner made when I bought this tank. It was def. sturdy enough, just wasn’t pleasing to the eye. So I went to Lowe’s and started buying…and about 85$ and a car load of wood later, I started the project.

Here’s what I started with (I forgot to get a very first pic, so the one side is nailed up).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/ieatpaint315/100_0546.jpg

Here’s after I got everything nailed up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/ieatpaint315/100_0547.jpg

Here’s after the coat of stain.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/ieatpaint315/100_0553.jpg

I made it so that the top face board flips up on a hinge so that I can feed/maintain, blah blah.

It will get 1 coat of oil poly tonight (monday) and then a final coat of polyurethane tomorrow night. Hopefully my next project will be a pine top for my 90 gallon, we’ll see if the schedule allows for it, lol.

**I don’t know why the hell that middle picture isn’t full sized, sorry.

very nice craftmanship there. :tup: to making shit look better on your own

I have fishies too! They’re my only friends in the whole world and only because I feed them. I know this because they told me so.

Do the fishies like their new home? Have you asked them?

The clowns couldn’t care less, they enjoy the change. The anemone loves it because now he gets more light, as for the others, they are still feeling out the whole, can’t see out the sides thing. There was a lot of movement around the tank for the past few nights so everyone is a little freaked out.

Very very cool man…

not bad, but im more intrested in your filtration set up :slight_smile:

and :tup : to the victorias secret bag

No too shabby for a build-in place setup.

Normally takes me about a week to 2 weeks from start to finish (Including stain/poly) to build the stands/hoods that I do, but those are a lot more intricate and built seperate from the tanks.

As for filtration, penguin 350b, and a aquaclear 20, or 200, something like that. I’m going to do a sump tank once I get more into the reef part, but as for now, I don’t need it. The tank is predrilled which is nice. Tank stays super clean thanks to 3 turbo snails, 20ish blue leg hermits, 3 peppermint shrimp, a sally lightfoot crab, and the sand sifting goby. I’m def. no perfectionist and this was actually better than what I pictured in my head. My main boggle was the fact that this tank was treated for ich in it’s freshwater days apparently, so the seals were all blue, so I needed to cover those up by framing the tank.

word not bad for a first timer. get yerself and router and do up some edges and it would look pretty good. why is it so high though?

I’m assuming for storage space?

Looks good man :tup:

Its so high because the tank is only 14"ish tall (this is my small tank for my bedroom), and I wanted to not have to bend over to see the tank. I then went 8" off the top to provide enough room for the light that I have on the tank. The light stands on legs that has the bottom of the light at around 4" off the top of the tank so it doesn’t heat up the water. the total height top to bottom is only 5’.

very nice man… my brother just sold his 46 gallon saltwater setup tank on ebay. kind of sad to see it go cuz they are so nice to see but i guess its time for a change. we built a top for his that had the lights enclosed and all. it feels good to be able to make something from nothing and be able to enjoy it. :tup:

looks awesome! :tup: to DIY’s

ooh boner looks good :tup: