Custom Ram Air Ideas\Experience?

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone would like to share ideas or experience with setting up some sort of ram air induction to help with a car running a short ram intake…in this case S13 but S14’s are welcome as well.

I switched from dtrls to grills for one of those reasons, I was thinking of making some sort of box or basically a wall which would trap air coming in from the grills around my HKS intake whether it be with the stock box or something and using those air ducting pipes that would connect from the back of the driver side grill and suck in that air and go through that box and the intake would suck it in.

Didn’t find any reads on 240’s with ram air, so let’s see if anyone has tried something like this or has insight.

Thanks.

just please make sure that when you do make a intake running that low that water or any other objects wont be able to get in.

if you have a ka, i would suggest extending your maf and putting it on the passenger side.

that’s interesting to note, that would result in relocating the battery but I guess the main purpose is to shorten the intake tubing length for better efficiency eh chris?

I know about the water deal lol, I’d have to get something to stop the water from coming up from ducting to my intake…hmm.

run it where ever you know your going to receive the most air flow. a duct leading to your intake would be alright, but just remember, wherever you drop that intake, keep it tucked safely to avoid water.

Ram air is cool as shit i guess. but really. unless your doing well over 100km/h with an amazingly smooth intake duct work, your wasting time and money. cone with the shortest possible tube. look up the k&n for ka24de. 10 hp increase from a fuckin tube. i have it. i truly believe that 10 horse is there. ram air = not worth it.

unless of course you can make some funnel through your hood? balla?

I made my own kind of “Ram Air” system when i had my KA-E in still.

I just had a HKS Mushroom filter on the stock intake piping. I used some flexible aluminum heater tubingthat was about 3" in Diameter (from Home Deopt), made it start in the front grille ( i have a pignose, so it might be a bit different for a 91+), and ran it thru where the resonator was (which is also where my filter was), and sprayed the tubing that was showing in front of the grille black to match my car for that stealth look.

When i put it on the dyno, there was just one little fan in front of where the piping was in the front grille, and i could actually feel quite a bit of air coming up to the top where my filter was.

Total cost: under $10

This is just my ghetto-ass way of trying to make some more power lol. I never dyno’d it without, so i couldn’t tell you if it showed any real gains, but i would imagine that any cool air being forced in the direction of the filter would result in HP gains of some sort.

^ lmao, your idea actually sounds right up the ballpark to what I’m thinking of doing bro… I know Ram-Air would be effective on highway speeds/high speed pulls;)

The resonator part sounds pretty good to run the tubing…
did you feel any difference with the added “ram air induction” danbikes? maybe in the mid-top end?

Cut a hole in your hood just before/after your filter.

what’s with the flip light covers I see with the inlets in them?
same effect I’m guessing :stuck_out_tongue:

yes. the light covers with inlets are to get air to either the passenger or driver side. im planning on moving my intake a little bit, dropping it more near the bumper for air flow. i was going to do it for the winter but decided to wait until spring. let me know what route you go with. pictures would be cool of some custom intake set ups.

^ I hear ya brother, I got some really good insight off another 240 site I’m a member of called 240sxforums, I know XSNRGE is a member on there too from SON.

here’s what someone did…finally a CLEAN & MEAN ram air setup for a s13 with pictures!

http://riley-music.com/BowsStuff/240SXWebShots/AirBoxInside.jpg
http://riley-music.com/BowsStuff/240SXWebShots/AirBoxSide.jpg
http://riley-music.com/BowsStuff/240SXWebShots/AirBoxTop.jpg

“It is fed from the opening under the turn signal and often runs 10-15 degrees cooler than ambient air temps at highway speeds”

http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/s13-240sx-89-94/118021-ram-air-induction-ideas-experience.html#post1355010

Be a really SONer and cut a hole in your hood just on top of the filter.

i run without the d/s headlight assembly …

that too wudn’t be bad if you’ve got the pop-up lights engaged lol

that pic you posted is basically exactly what i did minus the cool-looking metal housing. I was lazy, lol.

I didn’t really notice any difference, mind you i didn’t rip it on the high end too often. I’m sure it did help HP though, just not sure how much.

wow im really impressed with how that guy maguivered that shell around the cone… i was thinking of doing something like this but running a line from the box down to the bumper to the opening just under the turn signal on the stock s14 bumpers… im a welder so im gonna make it out of stainless… and if anyones interested in spending a lil money and taking sum measurements id b able to fab up any custom ideas u want… let me kno… ill post picks when mines done