Cycle Guys, come on down...

Quick Version:

Anyone have any experience with/thoughts/opinions/etc on the Honda VTX bikes?

Background:

Used to ride “crotch rockets” back 7-9 years ago, and haven’t had a bike since '01.

I’ve since had surgery on one knee, an going in for the other one in 3 weeks, and have on and off lower back issues.

Due to this I’m looking more for a cruiser type bike, and not a rocket; although I’d love one again.

In looking around online for bikes and such, I like the looks of the VTX, and it seems to have a nice V-twin powerplant and comfortable looking position.

Wondering if anyone has ridden one/owned one/etc where they could let me know their thoughts on them.

Moving to gen auto…

I love the look of the VTX… ill post more when i get a chance

when I was looking I rode several bikes, both jap and American. I can say with confidence the the v-rod I was by far leaps above the rest of the market, in all aspects power, handling, and comfort.

They can be had used for great prices as the demand is not that high, at least here in the US. If you can ride both the 02-06 model with the narrow rear tire 180 i believe and then the 07+ model with the 240 rear tire.

many out there are now over 100k miles with just regular service, and many have been running around with turbos for 20-50k miles, great motor it was after all designed by Porsche.

The warrior was a close second and is also a great bike, so be sure to ride one of those too.

The one thing you will notice when you sit on the Jap bikes is how wide they are. Most of them feel like you are sitting on a 55 gallon drum, it is really strange.

good luck and happy hunting, if you need a good dealership recommendation I would be happy to point you to one that will let you ride any bike on the floor.

I looked at the V-rods, but For the price, I can’t afford them. I can get a '03 VTX1800C (the bike I want) for right around $6500; Most V-rods I see are closer to $10-15K.

fair enough, just be sure to ride several before you buy.

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/590727/2/istockphoto_590727_motorcycle_2004_honda_vtx1800_neo_retro_model.jpg

looks nice… comfy… decent power… honda reliability… ~6k… do it

my dad actually just bought a 08 vtx retro in the silver color today from ray laks. As soon as he rides it for a couple miles i will see what he says.

Yea, I was going to head over there last night to sit on and check them out closer; maybe I’ll do that one other night this week.

I’d love to hear feedback from him on what his thoughts are though. What one did he get a 1800 or 1300?

3 Words…FINISH FIRE BIRD

If not, oh well. GL Buddy.

If I wasn’t working where we do, and actually made what I was worth, maybe I’d have the $20K so I could put it back together correctly, then afford the gas at $6?/gallon for 100 octane which I’d have to run…

Until then… I need another summer toy…

he picked up the 1300 but i guess he is not getting it for a week now because they did not have one there with the options that he wanted. i have talked to a few guys that have the same bike and they all have great things to say about them. i will be sure to let you know when my old man grabs his though.

looks like a nice bike :tup: One day i’m getting a cruiser

again why isnt there a bike catagory?? lol “Bike guys, come in”