So I want a bike...

Ive never ridden a bike. Ill be taking the MSF in the spring, then buying a bike, but Im starting to look now. Im leaning towards a honda shadow, but Im wondering if anyone can help me out with some advice on what to look for in a bike, obviously comfort, but what else?

I intend to only have it as a sunday cruiser. Also, what size should I be looking at?

As reference, I really like the look of this bike…

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/L-K-Honda-2005-Shadow-Aero-VT750-Cruiser-Loaded_W0QQitemZ270027436167QQihZ017QQcategoryZ50008QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I appreciate any advice…

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/585065 read it… they always send people there… i havent read the whole thing… good info though they say…
buy the best gear you can… take ur time and learn things right… MSF is the way to go and then all you need is seat time… do u have any specific questions?

i always liked the shadows… for some reason… yamaha v stars are ok too… vmax is a ridiculously fast cruiser… harleys are overpriced and if ur on a budget not the way to go…

this forum has a lot of cheap bikes… mostly race… but they get the occassional cruiser for a great price… btw… parkin at UB with a bike > any car parkin situation at the school…

Word. I really dont have any specific questions yet, just looking for something like what you posted. Thanks!

when you figure out what bike ur heart is set on… research any common problems… and have somebody whos educated on bikes go with u and test ride it… i’ve bought 4 used bikes thus far and never had a problem with em… minus my inability to ride them…

if u want somebody to go with you… just let me know when and i have no problem lookin over the basics… and takin it out for a quick spin to check it over :tup:

A 750 Shadow would be a great bike for a beginner just looking for a cruiser actually. Two of my friends just bought brand new Shadows this summer and like them. I would definately recommend the MSF too for a brand new rider.

Does anyone use the search function around here?

nope.

I really just wanted an opinion of the shadow 750, specifically. Sorry to waste server space…

I’d decide on a budget first. There’s a million and one bikes that would make for a nice Sunday cruiser. If you want something to just change fluids and ride, get a jap bike. If you want something with a ton of character that can eat 100k+ miles find and old beemer or Moto Guzzi. If you want that image, get a Harley.

gsxr 600

:poke:

:eyebrow:

GSXR != comfort

GSXR ~ torture rack:whip:

hey

it’s the only bike i like.

therefore, the only one i recommend.

:wink:

May I ask why it’s the only bike you like? It’s a great bike, I’m not arguing that, just wondering your reasoning.

Not to mention that a 600 would barely fit under 1 of vq30’s thighs. Hes a big dude.

just because you owned one doesnt mean you can recommend it, you never even rode it :stuck_out_tongue:

99-02 Yamaha r1 boat loads of torque and a nice cutiony seat…

i dont think he is looking for a sport bike guys

pretty sure he is liking the harley/chopper style

Get a Guzzi! Do it! Do you really want the same bike as everyone else? Plus with a nice exhaust those longitudinal V-twins sound soooo nice. :tup:

i think butch is selling his harley.

thats the way to go, but being a new rider i would go used, that honda is a nice bike, as are the vstars.

i trained on a intruder 800, the motor was a bit small for me, but for a first bike it was very nice, easy to controll, and not so much power where u can get into trouble.

Great bike and at great price. This thing is mint. I believe the only thing that you would need is a battery. Plus this is the larger motor bike in the series.

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5782

Gets listed on ebay tonight.

yep thats the one i trained on, cept for the smaller motor

i agree great starter bike.