D Series Transmission Compatibility

I am looking to swap a transmission from a 95 civic (D16Z6) into a 96 civic (D16Y8). As far as i know there’s no difference between the d series transmission but i cant find anything to confirm. I’m not worried about ratios or anything i just need to know if it will bolt up without doing anything extra.

It will bolt up and work fine, but i think your sensor plugs will be different…anyone want to chime in on this one?

It will bolt up perfectly, but there is a minor difference in ratios. VSS should bolt up identically, but may have a different plug…in which case just switch them. Reverse sensor is the same, linkages are the same…etc.

no technical shit words or phrases are needed, just throw the bitch on there and hook everything up

Thanks guys. One more thing. I was going to throw a new clutch in it while im at it. I know the proper procedure is to resurface the flywheel but is that really necessary? I plan on swapping it over the weekend and i wont be able to get it resurfaced if i do throw a clutch in there.

technically, if you want the most life out of a given clutch, resurfacing is the best way to ensure that it will break in evenly and efficiently. I’ve personally installed new clutches on old flywheels with no ill effects. I think you’ll be fine, provided there are no obvious pits/hot spots on teh frisction surface.

I have also installed many new clutches on used flywheels, some i got away with some i didnt. One civic i did the flywheel was warped from extreme heat but there was not evident heat marks on the surface of the flywheel. I was not able to see with the naked eye if it was warped or not. Cheap insurance to get it cut is my opinion. All depends on how the car was driven before.

its 30 bucks to have it resurfaced , somtimes less then that , just get it done and stick the new clutch on there…better safe then sorry and better 2 do it once then twice