Darts Pro 1 LS1 cylinder heads

http://www.dartheads.com/imagelib/LS-1.jpg
Looks like a very promising cylinder head at a very affordable price. Why put tons of money into stock castings when you can have aftermarket castings with more room for improvement than factory heads. I already have a set on order from Dart so I will see how these work first hand.

They will be available complete with valves/springs/retainers, or as base castings for a custom spec’d valvetrain

More info: http://www.dartheads.com/manager/uploads/LS1Flyer.pdf

question? depending on price which is big for this question, but they flow the same as a afr or just a ported stock head? yes or no? they say 313 at .600 lift but ive seen as high as 330+ on heads. i mean brand new these would probally the way to go, but most people are a used kind of guy(me) heads go for sale very day jsut got to wait till a deal comes along. i could sell my heads for 800+(zo6) and buy a set of stage 2+ for like 1400 with no core charge. im just wondering

Problem with getting a set of ‘stage x’ anythings from somewhere is that heads like my former stage 3 augustino 300cfm heads flowed a stock-like 247ish and had a poor valve job, and the patriot stage whatever’s chuck had didnt even get him over 400rwhp with a decent sized cam. On the other hand, I can put my whole hand in my AFR intake port, and chuck obviously does well with his AFRs too.

Should be interesting where these price at, as they look just a slight step below the AFR’s quoted numbers.

AFR 205cc cylinder heads: (100% CNC ported)
Lift Intake Exhaust
.200 140 112
.300 200 170
.400 251 203
.500 281 221
.550 292 226
.600 298 230

Dart 205cc cylinder heads: (as cast)
Lift Intake Exhaust
.200 156 109
.300 215 154
.400 258 187
.500 290 205
.550 296 210

You can see by the flow charts these heads are very comparable. The AFR seem to crush the Darts in exhaust flow because AFR flows their exhaust with velocity pipes and Dart does not. The great thing about these heads is they are around $1275 retail brand new complete for new aftermarket castings, not a set of reworked factory castings. The comparable AFR head is over $2100

A word of caution about (insert LS1 shop name here) stage I, II, III, IVx, or whatever bullshit. I honestly think the ported LSx cylinder head market has been the biggest money maker for a lot of these shops, and I think a good number of them are blowing smoke up peoples asses’ with their flow bench numbers just trying to sell cylinder heads or rushing (half assing it) to get them out the door to port another set for another order. I have seen time and time again where heads don’t flow up to their claimed numbers. Hell Tony Mamo head designer at AFR even made a thread about it on LS1tech http://http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317323

This thread is a very good read, and don’t forget when shopping for cylinder heads it is all about area under the curve, not peak flow numbers. Just about anyone can hog the shit out of stock castings and get respectable peak numbers, however having low lift velocity and respectable number under the whole curve is another thing. I am sure some LSx shops turn out good ported heads, but the same shop turns out shit sometimes. All I know is with Dart, AFR, Trickflow, Edelbrock, Brodix you get quality 100% of the time, and every time I have had a new set of heads flow checked for my curiosity they have come within a couple of cfm due mainly to flow bench calibration and differences flowbench brands & models

:word:

JNJ gives good heads.

Yeah, the whole Absolute speed fiasco was a good example. I’m just glad we’ve finally got aftermarket castings availible. I run the AFR’s myself, but another casting from a big name like Dart can only help the market with more competition.

Rumor I hear is we’re not far away from an aftermarket casting block either. Would be a nice option for the max effort guys to not have to spend 6500 on a C5R block. OTOH the Wheel2wheel car went 6’s on a factory 6.0L iron block with a girdle, so they don’t seem to be splitting LSx blocks like factory 302s…

lol… factory 302s are pretty weak, and in comparison, displacement helps… so you got one up on the lil SBF that could…

6’s on an iron block yes…not an ls block though, the 6.0 iron is the lq9 vortec motor. i say we all give in and build an 8100 vortec…mmm 496 cubes.

but the ls1 is in the 7s

There is no replacement for power-added displacement.

[OT]BADAZZ, U TOOK MY QUOTE[/OT]

If you say it too, then you must have taken my quote :bump:

what no pro VQ30 heads…damn it

Those are some good heads! :tup:

ahh… i need some good head(s)

my stock 241s rnt doin it for me

It’s an LSx style motor though. Based off the LS1, just iron instead of aluminum.

The 8100 is just a 496 BBC, not LS-based. So you could easily build one to be very fast using off the shelf BBC parts.

The 7 second LS1 used a C5R block. So its up for debate if you want to consider it an LSx motor. If you count a C5R as an LSx though, then you damn better count an iron block.

AFAIK, fastest stock LS1 block was Harlan’s 8.19. Stock block, heads, and crank.

WOW at $639 (Jeg’s price) a piece for a assemblied head and with 205’s & 225’s the same price, this is gonna be one hell of a bargain.

I really would like to see these on some cars…with dyno and track results…

Hopefully with the low price these change the LS1 performance market and bring the price down on heads.

You will see one locally in the spring time

Do you know when they start shipping?

They promised me I would get some of the first final production ones mid October, or late October