Dell Laptop Wireless Question

I have a Dell Inspiron 600m that is about 2 years old. This computer cam out at the advent of the Centrino technology. It never really seemed to work great though. Lately it seems that it doesn’t work very well at all.

I have to constantly click on the on the wireless icon and click “Repair”. This turns the Wireless NIC off and then back on resetting it. This seems to help some but then I log onto my router’s setup screen (router is a D-Link 614+, not positive on the model number) and reset the router. Things seem to work a little better that way.

My question is, do I have to change some settings in my router setup to get this thing working properly or is there an updated driver or something for the NIC? What can I do to get this thing working properly?

EDIT: btw my HP Compaq nc6220 laptop from work seems to work fine with my router and it too uses the Centrino processor.

Your router? yeah, it’s a piece of shit.

And it will probably be picky with which cards connect to it.

I bet you if I lent you my Cisco card on your computer, it would probably not suxor as bad.

Wow don’t sugar coat it.

It works for every other wireless product I have but its performance is deteriorating on my laptop.

are you using an internal minipci wireless nic card? i’ve had problems with an ibm thinkpad at one point where the signal would just sporadically drop to almost nothing or disappear all together. i came to the conclusion that it was either the internal minpci wireless card or the minipci port because it would work perfectly with an additional wireless g pcmcia card or a wired cat5 pcmcia card.

so more on point, i think that your board/port/internal card is smoked. i would try using an external card, both wireless and wired and see how that works out temporarily. if it works fine other than that, i’d say try to replace the internal card or limp it out with an external card.

if you want to read my original thread just run a search for ‘pci’ on the other forum…

Yes it is the internal wireless NIC. I’ve plugged it in with Cat5 and it works fine. Like I said it never really worked flawlessly. It would drop the connection if I used a cordless phone even though they were on totally different channels. I’ll live with it until it blows up. I really wanted to avoid the external card just because it sticks out and looks clumsy. Oh well. I was hoping a software fix might help things.

yeah i mean if you think it’s worth it you can probably pick up a minipci wireless b/g card for relatively cheap and use the online manuals to take your notebook apart and replace it. it’s an undertaking obviously… but it’s a somewhat new notebook and it’s probably worth it to repair it.

update firmware on the router…

obviously that is something that should be done anyway. it’s doubtful that it’s what’s causing the problem based on the fact that he has other wireless devices that work perfectly with the router as it is now though.

there are 2 600m’s in the house im at and we have the same problem one a year old and the other about a month. I have no problem on any router but the d-link. Im willing to bet its just a bad combo. I can get onto a lynksys router and be fine but the d-link goes in and out it sucks.

get a good router

lynksys

Eventually

I have a newer 600m and I don’t have trouble staying connected to anything, except for whatever they were using at the hotel at PRI.

I also have a newer 600m and have connected fine without ever dropping with netgear, linksys, belkin, and campus wireless…

like i said i think its only d-link routers