cant get on internet

my parents computer has a wireless d-link wireless receiver DWA-130 and it says that it is connected to the network but i cant update anything or even browse the web it just hangs and does nothing. my sister can use the wireless internet just fine on her laptop and i obviously am using it fine so it is not the router (linksys WRT300N). they only use the computer for the internet so i am running a virus/spyware scan right now to see if there is anything on there but does anyone have any idea what is wrong? i have never run into this sort or problem before

It could be the computers problem, but might as well go ahead and unplug the router, wait a min, and plug it back it.

MIGHT solve it, if it dosent, you likey have a problem with the computer, probably software issue, might be the hardware.

Got any filters set up in your router? MAC filtering or anything like that?

no i dont…it was literally working 2 days ago though

run a trace to like google or something and see how far it gets.

meh i just did a system restore, i have better things to worry about so it works now

Zone alarm has a problem with a recent XP update. If they have Zone alarm then that was your problem.

oh ya. forgot about that.

yes they do so that might have been the problem

Uninstall zone alarm.

You don’t need a fucking software firewall with a hardware solution already in place.

but software is so much faster than hardware! (though the d-link has shit for a firewall)

Do the zone alarm unisntall, if that doesnt work, do the following:

Shut down your computer.
Unplug the router.
Reset the modem till the lights are done flashing
plug the router back in , wait till the lights are done flashing
turn the laptop back on.

More times than not when only one computer is unable to connect to a network that previously had no problems before, there is an address resolution problem.