Delphi Vehicle Diagnostics Tool From Verizon Gives You Ultimate Control of Your Car

Source: Delphi Vehicle Diagnostics Tool From Verizon Gives You Ultimate...

[quote=“Verizon”"]

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/delphia3.png

Within the last week, Verizon and Delphi partnered up to launch a vehicle diagnostics tool that actually sounds pretty amazing, even to those of us who aren’t car experts. If you were ever in need of a car accessory that could unlock-relock doors, start your engine, open the trunk, tell you what that nagging check engine light means, monitor fuel levels, find your lost parked car, and help you track your car’s location as it drives, this might be something to splurge on.

The tool itself runs $249 for a limited time along with a $5 month-to-month access charge, since it hooks up to Big Red’s network. It should be compatible with most car models released after 1996. You can check compatibility here.

To use it, you plug the Delphi tool into your vehicle’s OBD-II port and then forget about it. Once plugged in, you can download apps to both your smartphone and tablet that give you full control over your car or truck. As I mentioned in the opening paragraph, this Delphi tool can tell you what the check engine light that recently appeared in your dash means long before you ever have to think about taking it into an expensive repair shop. It also does things like notify you if your car exceeds 75MPH. The Delphi system will even keep track of your driving history and constantly provide health status.

The device itself runs a Qualcomm chipset, connects to Verizon’s CDMA 1X network (which is almost everywhere), and uses Bluetooth 2.1.
[/quote]

I don’t come on here much anymore, but came across this on my daily reading of DroidLife and figured it was worth a share.

Peace.

Great, now they’re watching our cars.
Inb4pitmanfiles

I love how they show a remote start on it… but there is no way it would work correctly on 99.9% of the cars out there through just the data port. Not to mention the fact that if it did, it would not have ANY safety features what-so-ever…

Yea. I was just trying to figure out how that would work…

That’s only reason I would want it…

It’s a cheap way to track your car if it gets stolen. That’s the feature I would use it for.

Yeah until the thief who steals your car unplugs it and throws it out the window…

Exactly. The Compustar Drone mobile would be a much better solution. It is a higher initial cost (around $300 depending on the vehicle) and the yearly cost is more ($120 / year) but the features are 100x better. And it is physically hardwired into the car so the thief couldn’t just ‘unplug it’ and toss it. It would take a bit more effort on their part.

i have some weird shit like that in my car, dont know the purpose for it… car has onstar, wont that tell the coordinates?

I’m not sure about physical coordinates, but you can get an exact map location of it from either your phone or a computer.

yeah, because thieves will be looking for this…

Yeah because most wont notice it hanging out the data port…its easy to see in most cars.

Not to mention most thieves that steal nice cars are professionals and would easily find it.

My OBD2 port is tucked away like most vehicles. you can also buy a cable extender.

Mine is tucked away as well and judging by the size of the Verizon logo on the device…this thing can’t be more than the size 6th generation iPod Nano, GoPro Wireless Remote (if you know how big that is), etc.

In my car, it would be invisible unless the thief knew I had it. That being said, I won’t be getting it as I have my UpRev software for this type of data mining. Only benefit would be remote start and yes, Kenny, I know I have bailed on you twice on getting it. Some day I’ll pull the trigger and have you install one :lol. Every time I want to, it ends up not getting as cold and I don’t follow through :lol.

OK, even if its tucked away if someone is going to steal your car without keys they might have to hotwire it…which if they do that they are sure to come across your data port correct?

onstar is pretty amazing when you actually need it, and yes it can tell where you are, even in rural Virginia haha

Some obdII ports are right there under your knee, I could see this being obnoxious, even with a cable relocating it.

Use the OnStar app.

Only works on a few cars… Doesn’t work on mine

Not to mention it has remote start from factory and its not possible to lock my keys in the car, so no need for the Verizon thing. For some reason the guy installed a LoJack thing I have to look into.

It’s called guide point- stolen vehicle recovery system…

Like I said, whys this shit needed when the car has onstar…