Desktop Problem.

Well the other day i shut down my computer and went to restart it in the am and once it hits the windows screen the keyboard and mouse shut off and will never turn back on. they are lit up and working up intill the windows screen.

Things i have read and tried.

Every usb port and even went back to the old style mouse and keyboard
pulled the battery on the motherboard.
went into safe mode and it did same thing

I am kinda clueless were to go next. any ideas ?

did you update a driver recently? Either that , drive corruption, or something is dead with the hardware.

My next step would be to put a bootable linux cd into the computer, and see if you can run a livecd operating system or not.

If that works, then you have it isolated most likely to a windows problem (or hard drive corruption)…

From there you can either scan the hard drive, and try to fix the corruption (SPINRITE) if you have corruption, or you can just reinstall windows from a CD.

what if you boot it up with nothing plugged in and wait til windows boots to plug in the keyboard/mouse.
Do what justin said an boot to a live cd and see if that works.
Check your BIOS settings.
What version of Windows?

windows xp service pack 2 i think it said. and no i have no updated the drivers or anything like that. i tried the start then plug in thing and still nothing. im kind of clueless on what to do

do you have a live cd

I have mine available here:
http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/2113085/005034695550/

Can you boot with just the keyboard being the only usb device plugged in…? When the desktop is loaded, plug the mouse in and see if it recognizes it?

Edit: I see you tried this already… Hmmm

no i dont have one :frowning:

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

i use to know a good amount about computers i just have not needed any of the info in couple years and now im like a noob and it sucks being clueless :frowning:

Is there any sort of recovery console if you can boot from an XP cd you can get into the recovery console and run the command prompt…I’d do a chkdsk /f /v

dont have a xp cd. i have no cds with this computer

can you download one? doesn’t have to be legit.