DHS Sweats Out National ID Town Hall Meeting

good article.

yay or nay

discuss

:tup:

1. fakes will decrease. so i think. if a teenager and even a terrorist can get an id- something needs to be done.

2. it will be less of a pain in the ass when you move to go get another id for that state etc.

and it’s clearly a national id card.

thats all i got.

i really dont see the problem with a national ID card…

shit a social security number has basically become a natioanl id number

Years ago sun microsystems said they would give the software and equipment to the government to make this possible for free… Bush shot it down. I woulden’t mind a national ID card.

Waste of time. Huge effort for minimal results.

EDIT: And quite honestly, I’m skeptical of anything done in the name of anti-terrorism these days…

it does seem like our time could be better spent elsewhere…

Mine as well do it…

Enough info leaks everyday about people whats one more source…

OK I’ve read that article 3 times and I can’t find what the intended purpose of a national ID card would be that isn’t already served by a state ID. Somebody fill me in? The article seems to hint at preventing fakes, but what’s the difference between faking a card with a state logo and faking a card with a federal logo?

Im against it. Mostly because I’m sure it would look really dumb and ugly, probably some wannabe patriotic crap with an eagle and a flag.

Yeah, I think the federal government needs a new project to waste billions of dollars on.
It would be an interesting study to see how fast they could fuck it up and how fast they could waste money.
We could start a pool: How many hours will it take for them to reach $1,000,000,000.00?

OK did some more reading. Apparently there’s no central database for recording everyone (although I thought that that’s what social security numbers do) and this aims to create one. I guess the idea is to centrally track more info than just what a SSN does, such as address, and also to prevent duplicate state ID’s from different states from existing. I dunno, seems like kind of a stretch to me that this would actually be beneficial to security. Here’s another reason why it shouldn’t happen:

The National Conference of State Legislatures estimates that that the cost to the states will be more than $11 billion over five years. This is more than 100 times the $100 million cost that Congress initially estimated. For 2006, $40 million was allocated for start-up costs. No more funding has been allocated, and it is likely that the cost will be shouldered by the public.

http://www.epic.org/privacy/id_cards/

do you actually do any work while you are at work?

Nope. :smiley:

same here, slow day today

In terms of battling terrorism, I find it near useless. However it could be useful in terms of a replacement of say a drivers license, and offering consistency across the board.

But honestly I want less stuff that I have to buy from the government, not more.

Fuck illegals, get the national card, cut the DMV out of the ID business.

Can anyone find the comparison of how much more expensive the ID system and cards are in NYS compared to other states? I know it was a huge difference.