Did my gun bros see what crackpot senator Diaz has proposed...

Similar bill tried to get passed in Illinois last week and they couldn’t get enough votes…

They were going to try and push it through today.

However

https://youtu.be/0bDJW97xBAE

Registered! :tup:

I’m an idiot. I watched the video before seeing who posted it.

At a minimum if a bill passes, sales will be halted and weapons could be confiscated during ordinary police functions.

I doubt they could mass collect, but it still makes things very difficult.

My question is; What if you don’t “surrender” it but then get “caught” with one you purchased before the ban? I can’t see anyone going to prison for this but then again this is NY.

The bill they’re trying to pass gives you till 2014 to destroy/get rid of anything that falls into the ban.

Why wouldn’t you goto prison it would be a felony offense?

Yeah and it makes owning a certain number of firearms a felony. These people are out of their fucking minds.

I get it but it just seems bizzare that you could be a felon because they changed the law but yet you have taken no action.

S 265.04 Criminal possession of a weapon in the first degree.
A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the first
degree when such person:

(1) possesses any explosive substance with intent to use the same
unlawfully against the person or property of another; or
(2) possesses ten or more firearms; OR
(3) POSSESSES AN ASSAULT WEAPON; OR
(4) POSSESSES A LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICE.
Criminal possession of a weapon in the first degree is a class B felo
ny.

Did I just read this right? If you have 10+ guns you are charged with a class B felony? WTF?

Or a preban 1994 mag?

This is why they gave you a year.

Regardless it’s pretty extreme and very likely unconstitutional based on other supreme court rulings.

Uh yeah that’s what I was talking about.

The way it was explained to me is it only applies to illegal firearms. The word Firearm in the law is reserved for illegal firearms, IE fully automatic or having more evil features then are allowed. So the average guy with 11 guns that follow the laws aren’t going to have a problem, they are just making having 10 illegal firearms a more serious offense.

Honestly it’s the one part of the law that makes sense.

thats not how i read it, but im no lawyer

I was talking about the entire bill not that part :slight_smile:

If they remove grandfathering and outlaw the now exempt firearms as proposed…doesn’t that make them illegal firearms? This is how I read the proposal, not a judge or lawyer here though.

I didn’t interpret it that way.

Notes from as I read it…

Redefines assault weapon, pretty closely matches the old definition. Pretty much the same as before. Can’t look mean (rifle with a pistol grip, folding stock, shrouded barrel, etc.) And >10 rounds is a no-no unless it’s bolt or lever action. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: The big change is if a gun has one mean looking feature it counts as an assault weapon. It currenty isn’t an assault weapon unless it has two mean looking features.

Woah, the motherfucker tried to sneak in an infinite power clause.

(H) MODIFICATIONS OF SUCH FEATURES, OR OTHER FEATURES, DETERMINED BY
RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE SUPERINTENDENT OF STATE POLICE TO BE
PARTICULARLY SUITABLE FOR MILITARY AND NOT SPORTING PURPOSES. IN ADDI
TION, THE SUPERINTENDENT OF STATE POLICE SHALL, BY RULES AND REGU
LATIONS, DESIGNATE SPECIFIC SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE OR RIMFIRE RIFLES
OR SEMIAUTOMATIC SHOTGUNS, IDENTIFIED BY MAKE, MODEL AND MANUFACTURER’S
NAME, TO BE WITHIN THE DEFINITION OF ASSAULT WEAPON, IF THE SUPERINTEN
DENT OF STATE POLICE DETERMINES THAT SUCH WEAPONS ARE PARTICULARLY SUIT
ABLE FOR MILITARY AND NOT SPORTING PURPOSES. A LIST OF ASSAULT WEAPONS,
AS DETERMINED BY THE SUPERINTENDENT OF STATE POLICE, SHALL BE MADE
AVAILABLE ON A REGULAR BASIS TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC.
PROVIDED, HOWEVER, THAT SUCH TERM DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY WEAPON THAT HAS
BEEN RENDERED PERMANENTLY INOPERABLE.

This tries to give the Superintendent of State Police the power to call any goddamned thing he wants an assault weapon.

Uggh, moving on…

Section 2 Defines muzzle break. Nothing big here.

Section 3 - OK, adding some exemptions to the possession laws to allow for law abiding citizens to destroy or surrender their property within a certain time frame.

Section 4 - Ooh >10 round clips will no longer be grandfathered.

Sections 5 and 6 changes possession from a Class D to a Class B felony

Section 7 makes having a gun on school grounds without written consent from the school a felony.

Section 8 makes criminal use of a firearm a Class B instead of C felony.

Section 9 upps criminal use of a firearm in the 1st degree a class A felony and removes a 5 year limit on additional punishment committing a felony with a gun.

Sections 10-12 ups the felony severity in a few more cases.

Section 13 is interesting. It says if (lol when?) parts of this act are held to be unconstitutional then only those parts are affected and the rest of the act is to remain valid.

Section 14 says it takes effect immediately upon passing.

All in all it’s not that crazy. Basically just re-bans assault weapons and tries to wordsmith the ban a little bit to make it more effective, and ups the penalties for violating the gun laws.

Except for granting one man the authority to decide on a case-by-case whim what constitutes an assault weapon. That part is bullshit and should cause the death of the bill and make it clear that this guy should not be writing laws.

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

The 10 gun thing is already the law.

This bill would remove the part about pre-ban magazines being grandfathered in.

Fry the big part is only allowing 1 evil feature instead of 2.

So anything with a detachable mag can’t have anything else.

See above. This is already the law. Only the capitalized parts (sections 3 and 4) are things this bill would add.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

Sure enough, I missed that part.

It’s pretty funny NY had 5 rifle(That isn’t even breaking out assault rifles etc) deaths in 2011 and now “assault weapons” are the primary concern for government.

Not that NY has no money and insane taxes :lol:

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

http://imageshack.us/a/img405/5682/calgunslaunchp1.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Oh and since we are designing all the new laws around this event

“Lanza changed magazines frequently as he fired his way through the first-grade classrooms of Lauren Rousseau and Victoria Soto, sometimes shooting as few as 15 shots from a 30-round magazine, sources said”