Difference in WHP and HP #'s?

haha true^
my true friends is my crew from HS…not to smart with cars though

[quote=“eclipsed,post:20,topic:34458"”]

to a certain extent, i think that really is the solution here. i can categorize my friends into two buckets: those that know cars, and those that dont. i would never attempt to explain to those that dont about my hobby and why i spent all the money i have in the past. i just dont bring it up. because the questions they ask and the things they say make my brain hurt.

[/quote]

yup, I try to be nice and explain things, but when ppl are such nubs, it takes a lot of background “talking” to teach them the basics, and by that point their ADD kicks in and i can totally see their mind zoning out of my explanations…plus I guess when I explain things like that I go a bit too far w/ it, but whatever.

I fucking DESPISE the “oh your car has one of those fast and the furious wings on it huh?” … dude, stfu.

Then it gets to the point where they will ask you about “a noise coming from the front of the car” … hey douche, i just make them fast, I don’t fix em, ok? go see ur mechanic

If I were you I’d look at other dyno numbers of cars that are the same as yours, and figure out a ROUGH driveline loss percentage. Then apply that to your dyno.

It’s about as close as you are going to come to calc’ing crank HP.

The only way you’re gonna find crank hp accurately, is to measure it at the…

crank.

[quote=“Toda Party,post:22,topic:34458"”]

Then it gets to the point where they will ask you about “a noise coming from the front of the car” … hey douche, i just make them fast, I don’t fix em, ok? go see ur mechanic

[/quote]

gawd i love this…

they think because you are into cars that you are at all interested in helping them diagnose issues on their 97 Cavalier.

Noise from the front of the car?

Buy something faster and louder so you cant hear it.

yep.

When talking to non-car people simply compare your car to something they have heard of.
For example; My car is faster than a Corvette.
This is something they can relate to.

All can add to this disussion is a few facts. Most of the cars I am used to are RWD. While some of the rwhp loss is variable and some constant, as Mr. Newman pointed out, the variable part is relatively small. For a Dynojet, the figure of 13-15% drivetrain loss for a manny tranny RWD car is pretty accurate. Autos vary a lot more depending on the converter. If the car uses a lockup converter and you can lock it under WOT, the numbers are pretty close to a MT. Drag race converter cars can have nearly double that when the converter has a very high stall speed. A chassis dyno is best used as a tuning aid, not a device to get an accurate hp reading, because of this variability and because to only way to know your drivetrain loss for sure is to put the motor on an engine dyno, after which there isn’t much point to a chassis dyno.