Dim Headlight Issue

1995 LE

When my driving lights are on, only my driver side light is on and its really bright. My passenger side light is quite dim.

When I turn on my headlights, the passenger side light then becomes really bright and the driver side goes dim.

Sometimes they both work fine but more often then not they’re all screwed up. At times, my high beam indicator shows up but its very dim as well, like as if to tell me I have a bulb out.

I’ve looked a few times but I really don’t think I have a burnt out bulb, I feel like the problem could be relay related. Any input would really be appreciated because its driving me crazy.

Thanks

Check both of your high beam bulbs. Mine does this if one is not working properly.

OK, good to know… I’ll pull them out and maybe just replace them.

Does anyone have a particular preference for some nice bright lights?

Check your head light grounds, usually when the lights dim is because the ground is either gone or losing contact here and there. If thats not the case replace the bulbs and it should do the trick

Problem fixed, thanks.

what was it?

Well, I took both low beam bulbs out so I could get an idea of what kind condition they were in and if they were toast. They both looked fine so I tested them and put them back in. I didn’t take the high beams out but noticed that the driver side electrical fitting was somewhat melted. After taking the connector off and putting it back on, they worked fine. I’m guessing it was just a bad connection. Although I’m not sure why my connector is getting so hot. Hopefully I won’t have any problems in the future.

Are any of the bulbs that you are using a higher wattage bulb? Aftermarket 55watt bulbs can cause the lower gauge wiring in the headlight harnesses to become very hot and melt.

It’s possible, I don’t know because I didn’t take the high beam bulbs out. I’m not overly concerned about the melting, if gets bad enough then I’ll just grab another one off a parts car.