Dipping Idle....Video to show problem

hey guys,

I know this is yet another “Bad Idle” problem but I have added a video to show you what I mean.

I have my EGR pipe pinched, but I when I was putting my EGR housing back on I overtightened the bolt that is centered between the 2 headers on the intake manifold. So what I can gather is that there could be a slight leak at that gasket.

My coolant level is getting low and I need to do a Flush really soon as well. I have yet to replace the Coolant Temperature Sensor and the Thermostat. I was planning on doing this with the flush at the same time. I’m not sure if this would have anything to do with my Idle however?

IACV - I have not cleaned that out yet before…could be an issue.

However my Idle was absolutely perfect up until a couple weeks ago. I went for an e-test and reconnected my EGR valve. After the test I disconnected it and pinched the EGR pipe which is when I overtightened the one bolt on the EGR housing into the intake header. The only other thing I have done was change the oil and filter, removed my Hicas and all lines, blocked off the rear Hicas lines at the PS pump and remove the fins in the PS pump, and also removed my AC compressor and all lines and associated items.

Here is the Video…let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Klc96RP6E

Also I have recently replaced the following:

Fuel Pump - Walbro 255
Fuel Filter - Z32
Spark Plugs - Iridium
All Belts
Battery

Most won’t apply but just a heads up.

I had a very similar problem. Didn’t no what it was. All i did was take it for a HARD! run. and it smoothed right out. Lead me to the conclusion that my car likes to get beaten lol.

Hmm, IACV or…vaccume leak. Almost anything with a funky idle can be traced down to some sort of vaccum leak. Time to fab up a diy leak tester! (the only good thing I learned from my filng with DSM’s) But the way it’s choppy and intermittent like that has me leaning toward the IACV. Make sure to clean the contacts on the unit itself and make sure the grounds are clean around that area.

Try running throttle body cleaner through the IACV. There are 2 vacuum hoses going to the air intake black plastic pipe, near the rad cap. I believe it is the thinner right hose that you take off, and then let it sip some TB cleaner while revving the engine so it doesn’t flood or stall. That made my idle a bit smoother.

That video, its so weird how its intermittently cutting in and out. Check your MAF, TPS, coolant temp sensor and IACV solenoid with a multimeter. Check the FSM for tables regarding values. You should be able to trace the problem if its not vacuum related.

I have done the Throttle Body and carb cleaner through the Hose that goes to the IACV and cleaned the MAFS as well. I took off my EGR again and put some gasket sealer there as well…although the one thread is striped inside the manifold (tried retaping it but didn’t work). Hopefully the gasket sealer will help.

did doing the throttle body fix it? or are you still having the problem?

It was a vacumm leak in my egr valve on the intake manifold. I sealed it up and its fine now.

can yout ake a picture of how you did this? I am interested cuz i having the same problem with my idle, but not as bad. Just a picture to shwo where you sealed it would be great! thanks.

read this article and follow it to cleaning your egr valve.
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/427162-240sx-egr-tutorial

this is where I had a leak… where the egr valve attached to the intake manifold by these 3 bolts.

I just added some RTV gasket sealer around the edges.

Alright thanks man! appreaciate the link and the info :slight_smile: