Dirt Bike guys step in, carburetor guys too... Backfire/startup issue (also stalling)

Bike is an 06 drz with yosh 450 stroker kit, cams, fcr carb, full yosh exhaust. 4k miles

When hot or cold, I can press the start button and the bike will crank and backfire, I twist the throttle a little and it fires right up.

(Hot or cold, doesnt matter, its cranks for 3-4 seconds minimum before starting) when its running it runs like a dream.

On an unrelated note, When I roll a decent stoppie (from 40 mph for 20-30+ ft) it stalls out then takes forever to start back up.

The dealer is recommending a Boyesen super bowl.

Spark plug is brand new (today), old plug looked perfect.

Anybody else solve these issues yet?

Today when riding it randomly shut off while idling around a dirt road…, then took forever to fire back up.

Is the cam timing off a tooth?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

How would I know? still has the factory CCT, but i didnt think they were an issue for 06’s

the backfire does make it sound like a timing/ignition issue

the only thing i can think of for the stoppie part is that youre using all the fuel in the line from the filter and your gas at that angle is away from your petcock so youre draining the bowl so it takes a while to fill up your fuel filter and bowl? perhaps like a vapor lock issue almost?

have you stripped down and cleaned the hell out of that carb? blow through it with compressed air real good?

I have not. Every time I touch a carb it never works right haha (it’s been 10 years or so. But I’m still afraid)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Take the tank off and the valve cover. You will have to get the motor to top dead center. There is 2 what I think are big Allen plugs on the left side of the bike. One will exposes a nut to turn the motor over by hand, the upper will allow you to see the marks on the “flywheel” . The cams will have 2 marks on them. Exhaust will have one at 12 o’clock and one level with The top of the head. Same on the intake. Might as well check your valve adjustment to

What jetting is in it? Thumpertalk & Eddie/Burned is the resident guru. It’s got an FCR39 right?

Not sure what jetting is in it. I have the receipt somewhere… Yes I believe it’s an fcr.
Kuntry I will most likely do this after I clean the carb, bike was an 06 with 1800 miles on it… Which tells me it likely sat for a while at some point in its life. A good carb cleaning may help.

My buddies stock e model with sm wheels fires right up and sounds way tighter than mine, but I’m still crushing him on power. (wouldn’t my bike run like shit if it was a timing issue?)

flooding the motor out with a jet thats a tad too big?

how do your plugs look?

[ATTACH]32137[/ATTACH]

Plugs look great. I know my valve guide seals leak a bit, but it’s not a real issue. The previous plug from the first 1k miles of me owning the bike was far more tan. This one has 1k miles or so on it and as you can see is gray and still healthy looking. Right?

[ATTACH]32138[/ATTACH] this is the plug from when I first got the bike. So probably the first 1k miles of my ownership and up to 1800 of the previous owners (depending on if he changed the plug ever)

What’s the fuel screw set at (turns out) ?

No clue. Haven’t touched the carb once.

Turn it out one turn and see if it’s better. If it gets better you might have to change the pilot jet.
It could be valves but I would start with the easy stuff first.

• Updated - - -

If the pilot jet is clogged /dirty it will do the same thing.

^ yeah what he said dirty pilot jets will make it hard to start as well as the backfiring. R&D float bowls do wonders for these carbs as well, kind of pricy but well worth the money

The backfires are caused from running lean, clogged pilot or too small. If it has been getting worse it’s probably clogged.

Sounds good… Maybe I’ll pull the carb tomorrow. Not looking forward to it. That being said, it doesn’t backfire badly while riding, only when starting it. And it’s awful. Haha, embarrassing.

Do you get popping on decel?

Yes, but I’ve always had that (only at high speed or high rpm