got it to run, now for a tune up =)

since i got my bike form my buddy i know it hasnt been ridin much since he lost his license, but i got it fired up today this morning and now it just cranks and wants to fire but just “POPS”, idk if i keep flooding it or what im totally new on this and have no idea how long to leave it, pull a plug, etc., i tried with the choke off but it didnt do anything, with the choke on it almost starts, and i have it on a battery charger to help jump it while im turning it over any ideas?

what type of bike?
choke is giving it more fuel, so check your air filter.
fresh gas, you can “flush” the float bowls, but if it sat i would take the carbs apart and fully clean them
also check fuel filter

its my 97 yzf 600, it runs beautfilly when started and i rode it all last summer no probs at all, i think its just cause it hasnt been ran in a while, i just need it to run to get to don georges where theyre slapping on a tire and im gonna check prices on a fuel filter, plugs/wires, and have them do a lookover on the bike, otherwise it runs and shifts like a dream

edit: forgot the metion it had the same behavior last nite and it just would not start, let it sit over nitw (9 hours) and it started right up magically like nothing happend so im praying for the same result 2mrrw

carb? fuel injection?

sounds like its leaning out, not flooding.

i would rebuild the carb.

its carbed, i dont mind throwing some dough into it, i got it for 1900, 1100 under dealer kbb cause it was my buddy, so i actually wanna put some money into maintenace for it

well I’m 15-20 mins from don gorges…
I’m a bike tech
PM me or IM me
hondaJDMmotors

FI bikes would throw a code if that happend

just a FYI

pmd! god i dont wana sit here alone with it i wanna start it so bad but i know it wont do anything =(

PM’d twice
forgot something lol

to anyone else whos wondering, its making a large cannon popping noise and shooting flames, so its dumping EXTRA fuel

if you can wait till tues, i will look at it no prob

damn lmk where i can get a bike for under 2k, my car build takes 2 long 4 parts…but will be well worth it

update: bike didnt start this morning, wtf

fuel is varnished in the carbs …

very common problem … carbs need to be pulled and cleaned,synced(sp?) … thats it

don georges wants 225 for cleaning the carbs and puttin in new plugs, edit: old gas all winter no stabilizer, my buddy updated me on that today since it used to be his, original actory air filter on the bike as well, plugs have 10k on them, original fuel filter too

I have had old lawnmowers and snow blowers
not start… then I topped off with fresh gas and they ran fine.

If you don’t want to do the work yourself, I think there are guys on sportriders.org
thate might do it for less?

clean carbs yourself, fresh gas, new plugs, new filter, oil change.

kuntry quest is gonna teach me a few things and im gonna throw him some cash, i dont wanna take shit apart that ive never dealt with before, either way the bike almost started, im gonna wait till the morning again for all the gas in the combustion chambers to evap

It’s a carb’d bike. They do that. Exhaust all other options before taking the carbs apart because you probably really don’t need to.

Get your battery good and charged.

Yank the tank off, dump the gas, put some good gas in, swirl it around, dump it again, put the tank back on and fill it with good gas.

Pull the drain screws off of the carb float bowls, spray into the float screw holes with WD40, let em drain a bit.

Put it all back together. Yank the choke out. For the love of God make sure your fuel petcock is open. Crank the fuck out of it while cranking the throttle open and closed. Kick, swear, pray, yell, repeat until the fucker starts running and blowin smoke out the exhaust. Keep cranking the throttle to keep her running, put the choke halfway down, pull out onto the street, bog, die, restart, bog, take off like a bat out of hell, ride 50 miles.

Have a nice summer. :wave: