maiden voyage after all my repairs = more broke stuff

so after installing the new starter solenoid, new tires, rebuilding the brake master, re wiring the area by the stator, and installing new fork seals i finally take off for my maiden voyage today. first problem i noticed is after riding for a while and even after it gets up to operating temps, the bike will not hold an idle with or without the choke. so i upped the idle speed just a tad and that fixed it. so i go out and ride for about 20 miles and come back due to rain. i park it and i notice that i smell gas. i look around and i find this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/danteisme/aprilpics016.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/danteisme/aprilpics018.jpg

this is on the right side of the bike.
that discolored area is where its leaking
while it was running it was dripping, once off it quite.

kinda hard to tell, but is this the carb leaking gas, or something else? i’ve never owned anything with a carb so this is all new to me. lets say it is the carb leaking, is this something i should take on myself? or should i take it somewhere, or maybe i should just unload the bike before it starts to nickel and dime me…

someone school me on what it is i’m lookin at here
and of course, i just filled it up to so booo to that.

what kind of bike is this? pictures kinda suck so i can’t tell if its a v twin or an inline four…get a service manual and go to town…but beware…after removing carbs you usually have to resync them or it’ll run like crap if at all.

Didn’t you just sell a fuel injected bike?

i did, but i couldnt be without a bike in good weather so i picked this little “beater” up for cheap. and i think i may have got some of the problems figured out already. i’ll know for sure once i empty the tank and take it off.

and its an 85 honda vt700

:bowrofl: moving backwards?

what do you think it is?

yeah i moved backwards. i had no intentions of buying another bike just yet but i came across that one and i figured its not even a third of what i sold my f4i for so eh, what the hell? i need something to ride around on in the meantime. but it looks like the fuel lines coming off the carb, it looks like there is fuel running down it so i suspect that the line is probably cracked and leaking, especially since its probably 23 years old. but like i said i wont know for sure until i take the tank off

makes sense…and hopefully its something that simple. Isn’t there something about bikers never stop being bikers? and with gas prices still hiking up…i wouldn’t have sold the f4i…JMO though, glad to see your still on two wheels