Disc Repair

my dog knocked my xbox over the other day and now there is a big radial scratch on the game. it gets like 5 min into it and then says unable to read. anywhere i can go to get it fixed? or anyone have a disc doctor they want to let me borrow?

you can try it. If that doesn’t work, you can probably buff it out with some rubbing compound (the actual data is written into the bottom of the label, not the plastic surface) and polish.

I’d use that as a last ditch effort though

As stated above the data is written underneath the “foil” label, so it’s better to scratch the bottom of the disc then the top. Try cleaning it with dish soap and water blotting it dry with a soft lint free towel, and removing excess water with toilet paper.

the family video store near my house has a cd repair machine… idk if thats just for music cds or if its for any cd’s

word, same here $1.99 they’ll repair any disc wether u bought it there or not.

Of note, DVDs sandwich the data in the middle between seprate layers of plastic avoiding that whole scratching the label nonsense of old. So chances are once it’s polished (“repaired”) it will be just fine. Family video as mentioned above is probably the best way to do it unless you have a ton of scratched discs.

game crazy’s also have disc buffing cost like a dollar

Bad bad bad. You scratched into the surface and dont waste your money on fixes. When it hit and spinning you put a cut into the layers of data.

Sorry but your SOL. Might want to try to mod your xbox and burn a copy of the game. It happened to me with Guitar Hero 2

If the foil is still intact below the printing, and the scratch is on the bottom of the disc, take it to gamecrazy or something and see what they can do.

I had a dvd that wouldnt read anymore, it was scratched up real bad. Took it to game crazy and it worked great. Depends on how deep the scratch is though.