discussion time

http://www.boosthead.com/installation_docs/doc48.htm

If these numbers are true, would you buy one?

I’ve seen claims that some of there models can push 20 psi! It look as it would actually work. Its almost the equivlent of a dry nitrous setup. Custom ecu tune and a built motor you could have a deadly combination.

Discuss.

Oh for fuck’s sake. ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGERS DO NOT WORK!!!

OK lets do some rough calculations:

-lets say it’s a 2.5L motor spinning at a redline of 6500 RPM.
-It’s a 4 stroke so it passes those 2.5L 3250 times per minute
-That works out to 8125 Liters/Min
-But wait, they’re claiming 6 psi! So lets apply the ideal gas law to our air/fuel mixture
-812520.7=X14.7
-X = 11,441 Standard Liters Per Minute of airflow, or 404 SCFM (404, isn’t that ironic? 404 gains not found.)

For comparison’s sake, a Toro Ultra Blower Vac 51598 leaf blower flows 385 CFM and requires 12A x 120V = 1440W. (Keep in mind this is an open-flow rating, at 6 PSI the power draw would be MUCH higher.)

-So we’ll linearly extrapolate to 404 SCFM. 385/404 = 1440/X
-X = 1511 Watts
1511W/14.4V = 104 amps

That’s with the blower at open flow. With pressure built up to 6 psi, you’re probably looking at double or triple the power draw. Think your alternator can push 300 Amps?

Roughly.

^ lol owned. impressive bikerfry, and great post

Mr. Fry… always a pleasure reading your posts… i lack the knowledge/ability to think straight enough for a post of that caliber… A+

damn did i post the wrong link. http://www.boosthead.com/product.php
just select a car with the esc350 there all the same and read.

That links not working for me, but I assume it’s one of his electric superchargers?

Read this: http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0406tur_knight_turbo_electric_supercharger/

They DO work, but he doesn’t make a big deal of mentioning that you also need at least 4 batteries and a 200+ amp alternator, just to run for a short period of time. Then you have to stop and let the batteries recharge because the alternator just cannot produce enough juice to drive one of these things.

Electric blowers are not efficient enough to compete with mechanical superchargers driven directly by the engine or turbo chargers that operate off of energy in the exhaust gases.

the fucking thing costs 1600 bucks?!!!

HAHAHA!!! how much is a vortech SC? About the same?

Hows This-

Get everyone to chip in like 10 bucks. Well put it on my truck

If theres any significant gains, I will give everyone their money back, set my truck on fire and roll it down a hill.

If there is no gains, I will return the s/c and give everyone thier money back

EDIT: as per bikerfry’s advice- SIGNIFICANT GAINS WITHOUT ANY DAMAGE TO THE TRUCKS NORMAL OPERATING SYSTEMS

That is how absolutley dead serious I am… Electric Superchargers DO NOT WORK.

come up with the money, ill do it I swear to fucking god

Better add a reliability disclaimer to that. You might see significant gains for a short period of time, but you will very quickly be plagued with drained batteries, then dead batteries and alternators.

here is a vid of a leaf blower

http://videos.streetfire.net/hottestvideos/9/AB544E3B-5DFF-416D-9CFD-A1AD23CA9564.htm

how about a dirtbike motor turning the SC.

edit: a dirtbike motor with an electric supercharger on it running the input to another centrifugal blower!

the leaf blower is being powered by its own independant motor…not the electrical power from the vehicle…like BikerFry said…a few batteries and 200 amp alternator might get u a 10 second burst…now mount a gas powered leaf blower running on it own power then u might have something

What about a gas leaf blower or two blowing through the exhaust port of a small turbo?

Though I doubt it would gain the necessary speed to spool it fully unless it was really small.

y is it that people think these work?

The promise of power at easily obtainable prices. With the exception of this one which the concept just eliminates the point.

Hence why people buy the CO2 cart NOS “kits”, or the leaf-blowers

Even more retarded than the “Tornado Fuel Saver”.

Yes, just by throwing this chunk of metal into your intake pipe you’ll get 20% better gas mileage. This part would only cost car companies about $0.25 per car, but for some mystical reason they don’t do it.

I don’t think many people have read through it that will or if at all. They just assume its electric and add there 2 cents. The 350 version flows 350 cfm. Maybe someone should enlighten me more. For the people that say that the batteries would be drained and you’d need a 200 amp alternator haven’t read it in detail.

^^ haha techer

Well you never actually posted a working link to any specific product, so we can only assume you are talking about one of Thomas Knight’s electric superchargers. He himself recommends at least a 200 amp custom alternator and extra deep cycle batteries. I have not assumed anything. I have read/researched his products in detail. They are not practical.