DIY Tinted Tail Lights

So I finally tinted the tail lights on the old bird. These are expensive if they need to be replaced so I put this off for a long time. I practiced on the fiance’s Ranger and got a good idea of how dark I wanted my tail lights. I dont think I will do this full write up style unless some one requests it. Hopefully I will get finished and installed pics soon as I have a project for the center tail filler too. Opinions welcome.

I still have to sand down the other tail light and polish both of them. Orange peel would look really weird on tail lights so this is a must!

All pics were taken in near identical florescent light with camera on manual and settings kept consistent to give a better idea of how dark the tint became. The clear actually brought some depth and darkness to the tint as well. All done with VHT Nite Shades and Plasti-cote Lacquer Clear.

Looks good! Not stupid, overly blacked out.

yeah. I like the OEM+ theme. Want people to argue if its stock or not after I drive away. LoL
Also dont want to be rear ended because my lights are BLACK!

just keep an eye out for cops, mine were only 2 layers of VHT(came out to be just about the same as the ones pictured) and i got pulled over by a trooper for it, its a fix it ticket, but its a pain in the ass. just fair warning to anybody who does it.

I have a pair of older tails off a V6. They were in worse condition and if the one wasn’t leaking I would have tinted them instead. If need be I can rock those for a week or so to clear up any tickets. I would like to get brighter bulbs to help with the light output but I don’t know where I would get such. A least so the brake filament is brighter. Thanks for the heads up tho. I know its not technically legal but I hope their are not enough of these running around to make it obvious they are tinted like a Civic or a Cobalt. I also have 25% window tint, loud exhaust, and never have a front plate. I’m sure I will be speeding too. Don’t even look under the hood at the missing EGR or Air injection pump and plumbing. LoL

i dont see these being a problem with police. i had vinyl tint on my lights for almost 2 1/2 years and didnt get pulled over for them and they were darker than these. as long as you can still see the lights from a certain distance (not sure how far) you will be fine. as a matter of fact, it took me a little while to tell the difference between untinted and tinted.

it all plays down to the officers digression. this cop just happened to be bored the night i got pulled and got me for it. Ive had them before on my car and never had issues, just happened to run into the 1 cop who had nothing better to do. guy was a real douchebag too when he had me pulled over. I was there for a while, couple other reasons haha.

I may install one smoked tail light and one stock for comparison of light output in daylight and dark.

If you think they are going to be too dark even with that light smoke, just replace the stock bulbs with led lights. Problem solved

I don’t think LEDs will work well in these. I have seen the reflectors removed with full boards of LEDs in place but a few bulbs… I’m not so sure. I think it will be perfectly fine. I just want to do it to show evidence of the difference whether its big or small.

It’s looking very good!

noooooo, i have a shitty dark one i would have traded you for that wouldnt look dark now.

Which side is it? I got a shitty dark one too. If you have 2 dark ones they will match… Water gets in them and makes the chrome turn dark. I made sure mine were sealed with clear RTV. I tried to remove the lens from one to repaint the chrome on the reflector side. I broke it and melted the reverse light lens. If you have to take these apart they have to be cut apart and glued back together.

Mine are retarted dark and I have LED bulbs in them. They don’t do a damn thing for how bright they are. Might have to splurge on SMD bulbs if you want brightness, but the good ones (that will actually last) are pretty expensive