DMV question for anyone

I cant actually speak to a person when I call the DMV in NT, all I get is a machine and I cant get my question answered. Here it goes.

If I take my S2000 off the road for the winter (still on insurance though) I save about $270. I cant take it off until I turn the plates into the DMV? My question for the DMV is. When I turn the plates in will they take my plates and hold them for me or will I get new plates in the spring.

If they give me new plates in the spring then they will probably charge me another $50 or whatever the cost is for buying new plates. I will also probably have to re-register the car for 2 yrs which is something like $50ish I think .

So now I only save 170ish…still a savings but I HATE going to the DMV making multiple trips in the fall and spring. Just when I think I have the paperwork right. A new form is made.:picard:

Anyone know this question?

They do not save your plates for you. You will have to re-register and get new plates just like when you got the car in the first place.

they save your plates only if you have custom plates. if you just have generic ones, you will get new ones in the spring.

also provided they dont lose them when they store the plates for you lol

Yup. But when you turn your plates in you can either get a “credit” for the un-used part of your regristration or get the $$ back.

ugh…sux
thanks guys

Keep in mind the first time you register it, you’re paying 75 dollars for a new title…

ah thats true

$50

http://www.nysdmv.com/regtransfer.htm#surrender

Temporary surrender of vehicle plates (surrender vehicle plates for a season)

You can surrender your vehicle plates and reinstate the registration later. For example, you can surrender your vehicle plates and cancel liability insurance when you take your vehicle off the road for the Winter.

Remove frames and fasteners before you surrender a vehicle plate or vehicle plates. The DMV office will not accept a vehicle plate with a frame or any fasteners attached.

When you surrender your vehicle plates, request a receipt for transfer. Do not request a registration fee refund receipt.

The DMV does not store standard vehicle plates. If you surrender standard vehicle plates, they will be destroyed. You can apply for reinstatement of the registration at any DMV office that processes registration transactions. The DMV office will issue a new set of vehicle plates and can charge a vehicle plate fee of up to $15.00.

If you surrender personalized plates or custom plates, the DMV office will store your vehicle plates. You must apply for the reinstatement of the registration at the same DMV office where you surrendered your personalized plates or custom plates.

To apply for reinstatement of your registration and receive vehicle plates, bring the following items to the DMV office:

* completed form MV-82 (Application for Registration or Title),
* the receipt you received when you surrendered your vehicle plates,
* an Insurance Identification Card (FS-20) that shows current insurance coverage,
* your proof of identity and date of birth,
* a check or cash for any fees.

Remember that the registration expires on the same date as the registration you surrendered. If you reinstate your registration within 60 days before the registration expires, you can renew the registration and pay the renewal fees.

Finally, someone besides me capable of going to the DMV site and fucking reading.

:tup: travis.

:wave:

ugh:fail:should have thought of that…

well thanks man:bigclap: