Do I need a license for a 49cc Motorcycle/Moped?

I looked on the DMV website and I am not positive if I do or not, its classing it as

The DMV divides mopeds and scooters into three classifications (A, B, and C) based on top speed. Each class comes with specific requirements and restrictions.
Class A reaches top speeds between 30 and 40 mph, requires a class M/MJ license, and can operate in any traffic lane.
Class B reaches top speeds between 20 and 30 mph, does not require a specific license, and can only operate in either the right hand lane or along the shoulder.
Class C reaches top speeds of 20 mph or less, does not require a specific license, and can only operate in either the right hand lane or along

Well the one I want does ~45 to 50 but is only 49cc its a 92 Yamaha YSR. I thought any thing less then 50cc you did not need a motorcycle license to operate it just a regular driver license. Anyone know for sure before I buy this thing?

I think you will be fine. They will never know what the top speed is. They only usually car about the displacement of the engine.

You need to look at the registration and see what class it is. I believe it will say LMA if it’s a class a, LMB if it’s a class b and so on…

no under 50cc no license required

u will need a lic if it goes over 30mph

see that’s the debate. who’s to say it does not go over 50? I think its the cc’s of the bike. what’s his name was selling that honda spree and it was only a 49cc and said he didn’t need a license, it did over 35.

all you need is a drivers license. my ex gf had 2 and they went to 60mph and all we needed was a drivers license

Not true. You pretty much need a license if you drive a motor vehicle on roads in NYS.

Not talking about a regular one I am talking about a motorcycle license.

yes, you need a license.

or you could listen to the people telling you no because its what you want to hear. just hope you don’t get pulled over.

100% fact that you need a motorcycle license. the cc of the engine does not matter at all, it is indeed the fact it goes over 30mph.

i am a salesman at berts and we sell the shit outta these and have this debate daily.

you need it period. if you dont have it, you will be pulled over eventually and it will cost you mega fuckin dollars.

not worth getting the licence, you gotta go to the dmv and shit and that shit sucks. if they try to pull you over just run…

you’ll probably want to ditch the scooter however as it will probably slow you down, and try and find some woods or something as cops hate having to chase on foot.

if it goes 29 mph it requires a license.

my buddy has a 125cc and said he didnt need a license either. i asked this older couple with a honda moped and they also said no.

yeah I’m gonna make a few calls tomorrw and find out

not reading it all, at work we sell 50cc scooters, as long as they dont go any faster than 39MPH but i have found 103cc big bore kits, cams, clutch kits ect…

So how does that help us, you didnt really answer any questions. Are you saying that 50cc and lower and less then 39mph you do not need a motorcycle license? How do you know this if you do?

“GOOGLE MOTHERFUCKER, DO YOU SPEAK IT?”

http://www.nysdmv.com/dmvfaqs.htm#MOPEDS

Are there any special requirements to operate a limited use motorcycle (moped) in NYS?

The Vehicle and Traffic Law defines a limited use motorcycle as “a low-speed vehicle with two or three wheels.” Terms frequently used for limited use motorcycles are “mopeds” and “motor scooters.”

The requirements to operate a moped are like those for motorcycles. You must have a driver license and you must register a moped to drive it on streets and highways.
The exceptions to these requirements are listed in the table below. You can never operate a moped on a sidewalk.

The DMV certifies a moped as a Class A, Class B or Class C limited use motorcycle according to top speed. [COLOR=“Red”]The manufacturer requests the certification through the DMV Technical Services Bureau. Only a DMV-certified model of limited-use motorcycle can get a registration in NYS. [/COLOR]The phone number for the Technical Services Bureau is (518) 474-5282.

To register your moped, bring the following to a DMV office:

* A completed form MV-82 (Registration / Title Application).
* A completed form DTF-802 (Statement of Transaction for Sales Tax ) or proof of exemption or tax paid. The requirements and forms for mopeds are the same as those for motor vehicles. See the information about sales tax.
* Proof of ownership, normally the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO), a bill of sale or a previous registration that was transferred to you.
* Proof of identity.
* Cash, check or credit card for the fee. Pay the fees and required sales tax.

Or, instead of the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles website, you could listen to these people.

ok thats fine I already ready that stuff, wont the DMV know if you need one when you register it by the title or vin?