Do you know how traffic lights work...

Sheridan and Main SUCKS! Redconquesttsi and I were at that light for like 15 min…the fucker wouldnt change, so we went into the other lane and sure enough, here comes our green light…damn fucked up sensors.

word. just as i suspected.

Where does Sheridan cross Main?

that’s why it’s such a pain to get through.

this is why its important to have a siq fbody that can go from a dig. so you can get through these lights and fill the gap quickly. :allthatisman:

i always thought red lights were opional? :shrug:

They don’t exactly “cross”. Sherdian actually angles into and ends at Main St. out in Clarence.

The biggest problem I’ve seen with traffics signals is people not paying attention. They want to make a quick phone call, or text someone real quick. They divert their attention form the most important thing when they’re behind the wheel of their car: the road around them!

Have you ever even watched the traffic in WNY?

Go sit at Youngs and Sheridan and watch how the turn lane works.

Or Transit turning onto Maple.

I can guarantee those lights are detecting a gap in traffic, because as soon as there is a gap the the light turns yellow. It doesn’t matter if 10 cars have gone through, or 2 cars. I know this because I’ve been through those lights 1000’s of times. Same with Sheridan and NFB.

belive urban planners>you, and I was talking to people at work and almost all lights are timed, depending on various variables.

Yeah. Im pretty sure the sensor stuff is an urban legend. Im fairly sure theyre on a timer…

ahh no.

some lights are on timers, like those on equally busy streets, but nearly all lights that involve one busy street, and a quiet side street, or turning lanes, use sensors.

otherwise the busy street would constantly be stopped for no reason.

unfortunately, you’d be surprised how good we have it here. try driving though pittsburgh, or new york, or washington, or florida, or any southern state having bad weather, or … you get the idea

you figured me out, i just hate traffic

Some cities actually monitor traffic by camera and control lights accordingly.
I don’t think Buffalo has enough traffic for this though.

I have travelled the entire country, drivers suck everywhere.

Ive noticed in greece, they have these black strips they lay down to measure traffic flow on certain streets.

Most of the lights on the major streets use sensors for the turn lanes. You can even see where they cut to place the coil to pick up cars. It essentally works like a giant metal detector to determine which lights are switched. After that it’s impossible to really tell what methods they use. Most are usually timed after the initial trigger point.

there are deff somekind of sensors…ever ride your motorcycle and sit at a red light for ever cuz it doesnt pick you up"?

you guys should go to indonesia’s capital, Jakarta…

yellow light means, “go faster!”

Maple and millard suburban is just horrible you sit there for 5 minutes… Whats with the strobe light on some red lights… example coming over the overpass towards the ghonerria mall on walden?

they are to make the red light more visible such as after a hill in the road, or on a road that has a higher speed limit and hasnt had a light on it for a long distance.

Usually they are placed if there is an abundance of people not noticing a light at an intersection causing accidents. In this case two lights close together right over the top of an overpass.

Usually it’s because someone or “several someones” have died there.