Do you want some bass and have virtually no space for subs?

I was posting on an audio forum in a thread where a person with virtually no space in his car was asking for help getting some subs in. This seems to be a fairly common occurrence. There are a lot of you that would like some extra thump and do not want to use up virtually the entire trunk by putting in a large subwoofer enclosure in there. One of my favorite companies, JL Audio, recently came out with a solution for this problem. It’s called a TW5. I wont go into a lot of detail about this, because I’m not a sales rep, but I’ll just post some images for you to take a look at. The mounting depth is only 2.5 inches. You could have an enclosure that’s about 3 inches thick and still get some nice bass in your car.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/graphics/SUB/TW5/TW5_HP_MI.jpg

For those who know: imagine the front sound stage and focus you can get if you relocate these upfront in the kick panels and have your mid range drivers and tweeters up on the dash? drools
Some of you know how much I am attached to my W7 12" and THIS is the single thing that could possibly force me to sell it and set up two of these upfront in kick panels in my car in spring '09.

How many arms and legs is this going to cost? :lol:

I like the idea… might have to get it to replace my factory pioneer 10".

sounds good for my miata. I have basically NO trunk space at all

I like what I see… I’m getting ideas now…

I’ve seen and heard these, there the equivalent of a JL 12w1 in my opinion, but for how small they are they sound nice and are decently loud

I was thinking about putting one of these in my spare tire bay in my Z’s hatch as thats the only place that id be willing to put something.

$550.

Just because a sub is shallow doesn’t mean it’s not going to take up a lot of room. You still have to build an enclosure to the proper airspace requirements for the woofer. That sub requires 0.8 cubic feet, the same as an alpine type-r 12" sub. The only thing this sub does it make people think that they can put it anywhere. It’s stupid. There have been many others before, they all failed. This one will too.

I was talking to my friend at polk he said that there building one right now and that there very popular, even thought you need the space for the box still to make it sound good

It works if you have shallow but wide space. You can create a wide and shallow enclosure that would have enough airspace for something like this. If you can keep everything from rattling it would be cool to hang this in a long and shallow enclosure under the rear deck of a car with a trunk. You’d lose almost zero usable trunk space.

Would the enclosure you make be able to fit under my rear strut bar? How much would you charge? Also, I would need a 1 channel amp to power this right?

I might be willing to scrap my 10" Infinity Basslink (powered sub) plans and get this if it’s the right fit/setup/cost.

Here is a pic of my trunk with the bar shown:

a 1.0 cube box 3" deep would requre an area of 4 square feet and a height of 4.5", plus the external height of the sub from its mounting area building a huge shallow box is retarded IMO.

Gotta make the choice, Bass or Trunk space.

Why not use fiberglass? Would be a bitch to do, but you could probably be to get close to the required airspace buy taking advantage of all the nooks and crannies with fiberglass. You could also just point the sub down. No wasted space there (what, a half inch when not on and an inch or so at full excursion?). 5 sided box with with 6th side being a fiberglass mold of the underside of the rear deck. A 2.5 foot by 1.5 foot ‘box’ that is 3-3.5 inches deep (total), with the 6th side being the fiberglass mold should get you close to 1.0 cube.

And Iyla, I do not build boxes professionally. In my HS years I built a couple for me and my friends, but it was just a hobby.

Buy an amp, buy a sub, screw amp to back of seat, if you need trunk space, remove box and put in garage. Much easier.

I have a gigantic ported box in my car with a trim panel on it so it looks a little nicer. I can have it out of my car in under 2 minutes if I need trunk space.

thats what i do and i dont have to take it out to put my hockey bag in

I’m sad that my subs are coming out permanently to put a bottle in it’s place. :’(

THE reason i bought a hatch and not another coupe

:lol I got a 12" with a 1.5cuft box in my trunk of the 240sx

and 2 15"s with a 6 cuft box in the trunk of my olds :slight_smile:

ya i had a 10in audiobahn immortal in it, b4 i got stupid and gutted it (soon to be all oem :))

i will one day have bass AND enough trunk space for whatever

my enclosure is HAYUUUUJAH!
its 3.75cubic ft. its absurd. i might make a sealed and sell this one cheap to somebody. though if i want to put two of those subs in kick panels in the summer.

Not really that big. I had a 5 cu.ft. ported tub in my first car for two 10’s. Pulled out the spare, made a tub with fiberglass and raised the floor 3 inches. Flushed the amps and subs into the floor and had covers for them. Trunk was still usable for all but the biggest boxes. Till I put the panel display and xbox back there lol.