Does a certified check clear immediately?

[quote=“JayS,post:11,topic:37794"”]

Any check can be fraudulent. The only way I’d take any check is if I went to the bank with the person and watched the bank cut the certified check and hand it to him.

[/quote]

Cerified checks do not always clear immediately. If the bank doesn’t recognize the bank that cut the check, or if they have no affilliations, the standard 3-5 day thing applies.

Like JayS said, unless you were at the bank next to him when they cut the check, proceed with caution.

If the bank is a major bank (HSBC, Citibank, etc. ) then I would be less worried, but those can be faked too.

Your best bet would be wire transfer.

Sometimes listening to a woman isn’t all that bad.

[quote=“Rx3,post:41,topic:37794"”]

Cerified checks do not always clear immediately. If the bank doesn’t recognize the bank that cut the check, or if they have no affilliations, the standard 3-5 day thing applies.

Like JayS said, unless you were at the bank next to him when they cut the check, proceed with caution.

If the bank is a major bank (HSBC, Citibank, etc. ) then I would be less worried, but those can be faked too.

[/quote]

I thought all banks switched to some form of electronic checks and they clear much faster now…

newman, wire xfer. you’re nieve if you take any other means for such an amount.

[quote=“FormulaLS1,post:42,topic:37794"”]

I thought all banks switched to some form of electronic checks and they clear much faster now…

[/quote]

that doesnt apply to “clear time” when the funds are being held for negotiation.

check21 just means that if you send a check to california, Dos can deposit it today and the california bank will elec. debit the buffalo bank.
instead of literally sending the paper to the buffalo bank for negotiation.

all you need to do is get the check number call the bank that issued the check and see if its valid… not sure if this is already mentioned i just dont feel like reading the whole thing

[quote=“Rx3,post:41,topic:37794"”]

[/quote]

agreed :slight_smile:

A check, even a bank check, can be fraudulent, and it can get bounced around for up to 2 weeks before it gets sorted out.

My friend sold a $2k tv and 10 days later the money was taken BACK out of his account and he never got the tv back.

When I sold my r1 I made the guy give me the bank check 2 weeks ahead of time. The guy obviously wanted the bike and he had no problem sending me the check early. It was only 10k, not 30k, but I suggest you hold the title until the money sits in your account for 2 weeks. If the guy doesn’t want to do it, too bad for him.