Does Anyone Else Drive Like This?

I was complaining about not having my mirror in the other thread and it made me wonder about something.

A couple of years ago I read this article, and I did what it recommended. It changed my entire style of driving, and now I would never go back.

Essentially, you angle your side mirrors outward so that you can no longer see your car in the side mirror, and you actually negate your blind spots. A lot of people need to see their car in their mirror and are disconcerted without it, but trust me, it’s so much safer and easier to do what they suggest.

Does anyone else drive like this?

Here’s the article:

A pic for the lazy NYSpeeders:

http://thesalmonfarm.org/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/uploads/2010/02/howtoadjustyourmirrorstoavoidblindspotsgraphic_thumb.jpg

Always have. Never understood the point in seeing my own car in the mirrors… I know where my car is.

Interesting.

Basically what I run when I am sitting in my car, I have to move my head around if I want to see my car in my side views. But when I am driving and I just glance over at them I can’t see the sides. Course, I miss my truck mirrors vs these shitty small car mirrors. /sigh

This.

It’s amazing to me that so many people cannot change this habit. I adjust my side mirrors so that I can only see one thing in it that I can also see in my rear view mirror. What’s the point in being able to see the same thing in two different mirrors?

Yeah I push them out.

LOL, I expected that you would be keen to this Jay.

I think people just need a frame of reference, that’s why they need to see their car.

Always have. Never understood why people have 3 mirrors all looking behind them. I thought I was the only person to do this because whenever I get in someone elses car I am like WTF is with these mirror positions?

Nope

+1 on the “always have” crew.

been running my mirrors this way since it was reccomended in a defensive driver course I took when I was 17

I prefer seeing a little bit of my car in the mirror. When I’m on the highway, I turn my head to look. I use the mirrors mostly when backing up in tighter spaces.

Is it weird that I do both? I have the large mirror faced out and the little bottom one angled down and down the body of my truck.

http://monsterautoparts.com/CHEVROLET/SILVERADO/silverado%20towing%20mirror%20manual%20L.jpg

Saw that in an e-mail a few years ago and have been doing that ever since.

I do it but after riding motorcycles I still look over my shoulder. It’s a habit I don’t want to break, so I look over my shoulder no matter what.

I set it so that if I lean forward, the side of the car comes into view. Then, if I need to, I can lean forward, see the side of the car, then as I lean back, my view of the road widens into my blind spot.

I have my mirrors positioned so I can see the corner of my car when I parallel park or drive through tight spots. I wouldn’t be able to do this if my mirrors are angled outwards. I’m on jobsites often.

I don’t need no pig spotters!

Try this, lean your head to the left and rest it on the window. adjust left mirror until you can see just down the side of your car. Lean the same amount to the right and adjust accordingly.

It achieves the same result without having to guess

I wish I could program them to automatically aim back in when I put the car in reverse. I’m backing into my garage a lot right now since the snowmobile trailer is in there and it’s considerably wider than my wife’s Murano. I back in so the passengers side of my car is right up close to a shelving unit and it’s the one time I like being able to see the back corner of my car in the side mirror.

My mom’s benz used to tilt down in reverse so that you could see the side of the car and the curb for parallel parking. Worked well.