Get ready for mandatory backup cameras.

To come in cars in 2014.

U.S. Rule Set for Cameras at Cars’ Rear

Now, auto safety regulators have decided to do something about it. Federal regulators plan to announce this week that automakers will be required to put rearview cameras in all passenger vehicles by 2014 to help drivers see what is behind them.

Rest of the long article here.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/02/28/business/Camera1/Camera1-articleLarge.jpg

Some camera lobbyist got his paychecks worth out of this deal that’s all I’m saying.

Stupid. But I did lol at it showing a woman driver.

I dont see whats so bad about them i think they are pretty useful on bigger suvs/trucks.

get ready for more accidents because people are going to start relying on these “help” features (ie: parking assist, blind spot protection etc.) and everyone is going to completely stop paying attention while driving

A girl at work just bought a Kia Rio and it came with one. I cant see needing a camera to back up a car that small.

It would be a benefit on trucks and vans though.

You know what needs to be a law? People who don’t f’ing shoulder check and/or use signal should be given a $1000 ticket and forbid to drive for a year and have their insurance shot up by 500%.

What kind of f’ing “equipment” NEEDS to be in the car means absolutely ZERO when people don’t f’ing care to use them.

more reasons not to buy new cars!

i can’t back up without looking in mirrors or behind me, looking at a screen doesn’t feel right. shit i had a back up camera for the mr2 because i got it for pretty much free and i never even went through the hassle of installing it.

For real I cant fucking stand using those back up cams. It really doesnt feel right. Id rather look and get an actual reference point. and it’s just going to make people even shittier drivers. Its insane how many people cant drive in a straight line in reverse and still dont understand which way to turn the wheel to make the car maneuver where they want. shits embarrassing

but on a truck ill take it

Disagree.

I can drive with either and having my camera on my M vs no camera on this rental Malibu I have right now is WAY better.

My camera is a ‘wide angle’ so it shows me a little bit of the sides as well. This is VERY useful when you’re sandwiched between two SUV’s in a parking lot for example.

Not to mention, mine has lines for parking. I only use my right mirror (which tilts down to show me the curb/parking lot painted line) and my camera to back into my spots. It shows me where the car will end up as I move the wheel.

Very useful. I can make a demo of this feature for you all if you want :lol

HUH?

Unless you have sport bike mirrors on a Semitruck… you dont need to turn your head a lick to change lanes without issue.

I look in my rear view and pay attention to people coming up behind me. Always being aware of the traffic around your car. My rear view I can see out the back window and most of the back side windows, my side view i position to see 90% of the next lanes. Its called paying attention, and properly setting and using the mirrors on the car. I drive 70 miles a day, in rushhour to and from albany, I see what you mean though. but again it all boils down to people who dont pay attention. Also it helps that I am driving at a faster pace than anyone else. But still merging and shit is easy when you know how to read your mirror and understand the distances from your ass end to an object at all times. AKA not being a failure at driving a car.

Back up cams. LOL

It’s funny because my buddy used to have a y50 m45 and he loved the back up cam. Then he backed his quarter panel into a pole in a bank parking lot. Terrible driver? Most def. Overconfidence from the back up cam? Oh shore.

That car is actually why I dont like them. Shit was super nice and showed curved lines etc for where the car was going. But when I drove it I felt super vulnerable for some reason and preferred to physically look where I was going. But it probably also had a lot to do with me not wanting to mess his super baller car up. Im sure if I had it on a car, Id grow to enjoy it

i dont understand why u need a camera on anything esp a pickup truck. yhere the easiest to back up. i also drive tractor trailers around all day so i guess cars and stuff are just easy to me

Great. Nothing like mandatory features on a car that I don’t want but, am forced to get and pay for.

I have a real problem with vehicle features that tend to make drivers even more lazy than they already are. I understand some of the features of having this but, to me, I think it is a Hell of a lot better to physically check that your 2 year old is not playing behind your car. Rather than depend on the camera as you back out of your driveway.

Same here. I used to tow for an RV dealer when I graduated from highschool and was going to college. If some punk ass kid who was driving legally for only 2 years can backup 40’ $500K class A rv’s, 32’ 5th wheels and travel trailers, etc can do it without hitting anything, people have no excuses why they cant back into a parking spot or parallel park a car.

And the cameras really aren’t that helpful. The proximity lines are sketchy at best, and are not 1:1 with what you see to how you are moving, due to the angles on the cameras on most installations. meaning, the object you are backing up to at a steady pace could show faster or slower in the camera.

Moral: Dont back over children. :facepalm

Exactly that. If the youth of america doesnt prove this already, we are all doomed. Young kids would rather look shit up on their smart phones and think they know everything, than go out and actually try to figure it out on their own. Same with these driving aids, its one less thing oblivious drivers feel the need to think they need to pay attention for.

Back up sensors, IE the audible ones that are installed on the rear bumpers in 2-4 spots are AWESOME though. You can watch your mirrors (as you should be) and when you think you are close enough the chime goes off telling you if your assumption was correct or not. Thus TEACHING the driver how long the car is, how to use the mirrors correctly and what objects look like in them based on proximity.

and if you do, sue the camera manufacturer for not putting a wide ass fish-eye lenses on the car. LOL

back up cameras are legit, you guys are crazy.

that is all

backup sensors are great when they work, just ask PJB

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/02/28/business/Camera1/Camera1-articleLarge.jpg

Why is there a mirror in her kitchen?