30% Off Car Insurace If You...

… Put a camera in your car that records you and how you drive, and links with your diagnostic port to pull data on what you’re doing.

Would you do it?

Progressive offers it with their “Snapshot” program. Info here: http://www.progressive.com/snapshot/common-questions.aspx

The idea of usage-based auto insurance (per mile) is interesting but my inner tin-foil-hat says no to a camera / data recorder to show how and what I do while I drive.

And this is kinda creepy:

http://www.progressive.com/snapshot/images/hero-default.jpg

not available in PA.

I guess their trying to roll it out nationally real soon.

would not even consider it and especially not with Progressive after seeing how some of the guys on here have been treated by them.

Can it only be in one of my vehicles(ie my truck which I very rarely use) and not in my others(talon/evo ix)? If it could and I still get the savings on my whole policy, then yes I would.

Edit: just read the details and my plan is not going to happen so no thanks.

i would put it in my hyundai if it meant id be saving a thousand a year sure.

Wait, is there a camera on YOU? Inside the car?

I think for anyone on this site, the answer will be no. However, people who do zero spirited driving could certainly benefit from it.

I think they need to:

1. check my driving record
  2. look at the thousands I’ve paid in premiums over the past 23 years vs. the $0 paid out

and then choose:
3a) give me the discount
-or-
3b) tell Flo to fuck off

None of the other car insurance companies can even touch geico in my case. I’m paying $230 for a six month full coverage policy on my saturn with $1000 deductible on comp and collision and $0 glass, plus roadside assistance.

I hope this doesn’t turn into an “I pay” thread, since there are a huge number of factors that affect car insurance rates: vehicle, deductible, coverage amount, age, driving record, full/limited tort, stacked/unstacked, multi-car, multi-policy, own/rent, credit score, geographic location, astrological sign, how much fiber you eat, etc.

It’s 30%, so you’d have to be paying about $3,300 a year to save $1k on insurance… and if that’s the case it’s likely you have bigger problems!

Yes. Something like this:

Nope.If they want to Big Brother me they have to do better than a $100 discount every 6 months.

Absolutely not.

nah.

The problem with this is that, once it becomes commonplace, NOT being willing to have one in your car is going to cause your rates to go up.

After all, if you’re not doing anything wrong, you wouldn’t mind having a camera and ‘black box’, right?

This is not good.

according to the website it takes a snapshot of DATA not the driver…

with that being said, I lot insurance coverage on my Honda because they found out I took it to an autocross. I imagine track days or autocross drivers automatically need to cross this off as an option. For the daily driver or wife’s minivan… maybe.

but then again, knowing how retarded people drive, it makes me wonder why they think that data will tell them if people are driving safely or not. Accidents are more often caused by distracted drivers, being going 10 under the speed limit, or running stop signs than just speeding or the other typical “data” that this device would record. So therefore it wouldn’t really provide the insurance company with anything at all.

if you get it does doing lines of brocaine off your dashboard cause them to revoke the 30% discount?

ah, so this is what they’re looking for:

Safe habits like these will improve your discount:
      o Gentle braking
      o Driving fewer miles than the average driver in your state
      o Rarely driving during peak hours or between midnight and 4 a.m.

The Snapshot device collects:

* Time of day and vehicle speed, which helps determine how many miles you drive and how often you make sudden stops.
* When the device is connected and disconnected from the vehicle.
* Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

The Snapshot device doesn’t contain GPS technology or track vehicle location. It also doesn’t track whether you’re exceeding the speed limit.

Ah, I confused drivecam with snapshot.

thats what they want you to think.

screw that.