Cop Alert

NYS Police cars are equipped with a video license plate scanning system (like the Canadians use).

It scans, identifies, and runs all plates to the left and right of the cop car.
There are 2 cameras running simultaneously. It works rather well.

If you have any suspensions or what not watch your ass on the Thruways.

Cheektowaga police are using this now. They estimated that there are about 60k people in the WNY area with suspended licenses that are driving. I talked to the IT Director for the town and this is straight out of his mouth.

I don’t know about the other towns yet but Cheektowaga is having great success with it.

You have to be in the database thats downloaded to the car…It doesn’t actively look up each car.

It has an offenders list or some crap in the computer in the car…Not every car in NYS is programmed into it.

How long has this been out?

bs if you ask me.

The_Russian is screwed. :lol:

This is irrelevant. If the DB is uploaded to the car each morning then its the same as every car being looked up anyway.

He said he had that system but becuase my licsense plate lights were out, it couldnt read it. oops

These things can’t read bike plates btw. As I’ve been told by someone who talked to a cop about it.

lol BIG BROTHER is finally watching!
this will suck for alot of people especially repeat offenders

If you have a dirty plate or a cover, I think it will throw off the system as well…

My Brother in Law is a Cheektowaga Cop. Around 2/3 of the cars have it so far. More coming soon.

I can assure you they don’t have every car in NYS in each cars database…

Maybe this is a step towards enforcing the idea that driving is a privilege, not a right…

Either way, I don’t find myself minding this too much. Maybe I’m missing some implications.

DIAF

Why would you need EVERY car in NYS the database in the car?

All you need is the people in the local area (or region for that matter) who have issues with their license or registration; that’ll catch a lot.

Driving is a privilege in places like NYC or the 5 boroughs where there is a real public transportation system in place. Driving in some places is a neccessity for survival. Anyone that has trouble distinguishing between the 2 is a fucking retard.

Really…Buffalo is scaling it back because it was crashing the computers…it was going off on way to many cars :slight_smile:

The Amish haven’t died yet.

Either way, I can’t feel very sorry for someone operating a vehicle without a license.

I posted about this quite some time ago. It will also scan cars in parking lots, and they will leave tickets on the windshields or wait for the owners.