NYS forcing drivers to purchase new plates.

I just paid $50 to transfer plates this month, and another $50 for plates for my BMW a few months ago…

and now I’ll have to drop another $50 next April, I know it’s just $50 but, seriously, is it necessary to tax NYS residents with such an annoying tax?
I feel bad for businesses with fleet vehicles.

State forces drivers to
buy new plates
NY State wants to put another dent in
your wallet

Updated: Tuesday, 04 Aug 2009, 4:53 PM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 04 Aug 2009, 4:53 PM EDT

Melissa Holmes
BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - New York State wants to put another dent in your wallet by forcing everyone to get new license plates. The mandatory change means the state will be getting more of your money.

Whether you’re getting a new car or not, come April you’ll be forced to buy new license plates at $25 a set. It’s $20 more to keep your same plate numbers. New York State’s budget crisis is to blame, and it will put $126 million dollars in the state’s coffers.

Erie County Clerk Kathy Hochul said, “I have a real problem with that. It’s a lot of money for the state that they’re collecting, but they’re taking it right out of our pockets.”

It’s $25 for one set of plates, but for a family with several vehicles, or a business with a fleet of vehicles, that $25 really adds up.

Hochul said, “We complain. We send letters and tell them we object to it. We’re told there’s a fiscal crisis and the state needs to collect the money.”

Most drivers News 4 spoke with at the Department of Motor Vehicles downtown had no idea that the next time they register their vehicle they’ll have to pay for the new plates, and they weren’t happy to hear it.

Dorothy Donaldson said, “I’ve been a New York State resident for 50 years, and I pay enough taxes, without adding more.”

Ray Eldridge said, “I’m on a fixed income and to have to pay more money for plates. It’s just not in my budget.”

Patty Ross said, “We don’t need as many politicians as we have, and I think they should be taking pay cuts instead of raising things for us.”

The state is also piling on more DMV fees. Starting in September, registration fees will increase 25 percent. On average, they’ll go from $44 to $55.

The price of your driver’s license is also going up 25 percent. An eight-year renewal used to cost $50. Now it will be $62.50. And teens who take a five-hour pre-licensing course or driver education will now have to pay $50 for a book that used to be free.

Hochul said, “I’ll tell you I think it’s wrong. At a personal level and as a government official, I think our taxpayers have paid enough.”

But they’ll continue to pay more.

Any they wonder why people leave NY

Complete bullshit. Fuck NYS.

I just read about this…

I love NY but this kind of crap shouldn’t fly.

My new plate:

F@ALBANY

Will they have RFID chips?

^^^ I bet they do.

if i didnt have the job i do i would already be gone out of this POS hellhole they call NYS. what ever happen to the veiw of “when the government is unjust, it is time to change the government?”

fun times. Time to start registering out of state.

I’m so sick of this government mentality; ‘we need more money, so lets just take it from the bleeding private sector’.

Fuck that, I can’t wait to get out of this crappy state.

I wonder if this applies to motorcycles. I just registered my car last week and needed new plates, I ain’t buying shit next year, NYS can suck my cack.

If it weren’t for this damn recession we would definitely be somewhere else.

The local news in Phoenix was comparing its loss of jobs to Detroit levels, so I’ll be here a while longer for sure.

Kathy Hochul was just on the radio, she is not too happy about this especially with the economy the way it is. Maybe just lip service but w/e.

I am surprised they are not charging $300 for the new plates, it is NY.:gotme:

What about custom plates?

Mine is going in the microwave the day I get it. :smiley:

I laughed at the lady they had on tv, talking about lowering taxes on bowling, and other recreational things… cant remember all of them, then she goes into. well we need to make the money back some how.

right, so lets tax what everyone needs to do and not something that isnt much needed in life! fucking ny state can lick some hairy assholes!

Looks like I will go back to one trailer plate that I just swap between my 4 trailers.

I have family in VA. How would I go about doing this, any tricks or do you just need a bill in your name?

TOTAL bullshit.
Recession…CHECK.
Property values going down or flat, not up…CHECK.
Property taxes raised in NY…CHECK.
Wait WUT??? And didn’t they just raise state taxes not that long ago? I mean seriously, this is horseshit. It’s not the citizens fault, nor should we be penalized for the improper spending habits of the government here. I got kinda pissed off the other day when I saw road checks for inspection/seatbelt. Why do they think it’s cool to go on an assault when peoples wallets are hurting? SIGH.

I’m REALLY gonna consider looking elsewhere. I mean it’s bad enough the US government is killing our spending power through inflation. They tax us via income and covertly via inflation. I don’t want 2 siphons sucking my tank dry.

^NY is a model for the future USA.(broke - give lost of hand outs without a real way to pay for them.)