NYS to issue new gold plates starting today

http://nysdmv.com/

looks like another fee at the dmv now… I thought this planned increase was rejected?

As of April 1, 2010, Empire Gold plates will be available in DMV offices for the passenger, commercial and trailer registration classes. Empire blue and white plates will continue to be valid on vehicles registered in New York State, but will no longer be issued by the DMV when the current stock is depleted. Whether the registrant receives Empire blue and white or Empire Gold plates the plate fee, based on the 2009-2010 Budget enacted by the Legislature, is $25 for a two plate set and $12.50 for vehicles that receive single plates such as trailers. Prior to April 1, the plate fee was $15 for a two plate set and $7.50 for a single plate.

04/01/10, but I wonder if it’s legit…

Here’s the FAQ on it:
http://nysdmv.com/empgold/faq.htm

How come the DMV doesn’t have a sense of humor the other 364 days a year

Already looking into custom plates…

Yeah, this isn’t an April Fools joke. They canceled the RE-ISSUE where you were going to have to pay for new plates even if your current plates were 100% fine and nothing was changing. That plan died. You can renew your registration and keep your current white/blue plate. However, if you register a new car and need new plates you will only be able to get the white/blue plate while supplies last. They aren’t making any new one and the hideous gold/blue plate is what we’re stuck with.

It’s actually quite fitting that NY went with a retro design. Every policy in NY is stuck in the 50’s so why shouldn’t our license plates reflect that.

Yeah, this isn’t an April Fools joke. They canceled the RE-ISSUE where you were going to have to pay for new plates even if your current plates were 100% fine and nothing was changing. That plan died. You can renew your registration and keep your current white/blue plate. However, if you register a new car and need new plates you will only be able to get the white/blue plate while supplies last. They aren’t making any new one and the hideous gold/blue plate is what we’re stuck with.

It’s actually quite fitting that NY went with a retro design. Every policy in NY is stuck in the 50’s so why shouldn’t our license plates reflect that.

Double post!!

April fools! lol.

Do I have to get the new Empire Gold plates when I renew my vehicle registration?

No. You will be allowed to keep your current plates when you renew your registration.

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

Guess ill find out soon, I need to get plates to put my s2k back on the road

fuck i was planning on putting the p-car on the road tomorrow. i dont want those fucking hideous gold plates…

The double post thing would be funny if the database didn’t cause it to happen so much. :slight_smile:

They will still give you the blue and white if they have a stock of them.

I totally want the new plates, but I dont want to turn in my old plates and get new ones.

I’m assuming this new design applies to motorcycle plates too?

yeah you better hurry up and register.

Looks like I’ll be putting a couple coats of wax on my white and blue plate. Need to make sure that baby lasts until they abandon this ugly design, probably about the time we get a governor who can actually see it.

LOL JayS you are on a roll. I spotted some being handed out today at the DMV when I was registering my bike. Sinfully ugly!