Dohc/sohc hybrid swap

I have seen some very base info on this, That it ups the compression and it would be a better base for a Ka-t due to the fact its stronger.

I may be totaly wrong but i have not found a ton of info and I HAVE seached.

Anyone know somthing about this, im really intrested in it.

so basically you want to increase the compression on a KA (DOHC) so you can turbo it?

I think it has to be the other way around…

the single cam motors can handle a lot of boost, but like lith said, you dont want to raise the compression. check KA-T.org they have a SOHC section.

www.ka-t.org

I have A Sohc and i want to and some strenght and power to the motor and build an all motor, I have heard that is a cost effective way of building an N/A motor that can be ready for boost, and then maybe turbo it.

start with a DOHC and put in the pistons from your SOHC, 11.X:1 compression

yeah, just put them in :lol:

Newbieracer, what exacly are you saying. You’d like to up the compression on the DE by using E pistons? This will not improve strength what so ever, the SOHC and DOHC share the same rods, the only difference is on the journal sizes IIRC. Also, this would not be a motor you would want to run boost through.

Or are you thinking of using the DE pistons in the E to lower the compression? This will lower your compression, won’t make anything stronger. If this is the case, there really is no need to drop the compression on the E. Its already at 8.6:1 unless you have the rare 9.1:1 motor.

You are better of upgrading to forged pistons and cutting the crap if you want to strengthin internals. The weakest point on the KA’s and especially the SOHC is those damed cast pistons with tiny ring lands. Drop the compression to maybe 8:1 if you plan to run high amounts of boost.

Once you tell me what it is exacly you are trying to do, I can better answer your question. First answer the above.

Spilner, I hate to say it, but the SOHC does not take kindly to high amounts of boost on stock bottom, the ring lands tend to disappear :stuck_out_tongue:

Andrew.

ka24et is the way to go, especially if you start with an 89 ka24e, mwahaha, pdm turbo cams, stiff valve springs, low milage, a t3/t4 hybrid, fmic, aems, rollcage, coilovers, sil80, omfg, drool :wackit: , and spilner, the stealth s14 banner you got has an optical illusion on bottom right :run: