DOHC 2.4 VS SOHC 2.4?

i was wondering wut motor has better tuning potential and which is recommnded from experience, and also whish motor is capable of gaining more horsepower for low cash

thanx

Obviously the DOHC is gonna outperform and outlast the SOHC, but i ahve seen people make SOME power on an SOHC, i dotn think its unheard of, but obviously your best bet si to go for the 91+ DOHC KA if your looking to make power out of those 2 options. But there are limits to the amount of power you cna make without going KA-T with the motor. And obviously the DOHC will be able to handle the added boost (with some reinforcement) alot easier and better than an SOHC engine.

If your realy interested in making lots of power for a purpose built race car or a mean street machine, then an import engine would probably be your best bet to get soem instant horses under the hood, along with some easy upgradeability. Howver alot fo people have been tuning their KA’s lately and slapping a turbo. This shows to amke some SERIOUS power, but im nto sure how reliable this power is, and i understand downtime is a factor with the KA-T.

Make the choice my friend and never regret it, look only to the future…

Daniel

^^^ :ugh2:

there’s a ton of info out there… just SEARCH for it.

www.zilvia.net is a good source.

The ONLY downside to the sohc Ka’s are the lack of cams available on the market for them; however i belive JWT sells them, and how close the exhuast ports are for a turbo or even a NA header. The ecu does nto require a daughterboard for tuning and 370cc ca18det injectors drop right in with the proper resistors. 280zx oil pump gives you a nice upgrade as well. All in all a simple motor with tonns of possibility. I still much prefer the SOHC to the dohc.

A Sohc, NA Ka you will love. 11:1 comp, header, ignition, exhuast. good to go. all to be had cheaply aswell.

Lucky, I’ll take your word for it, but i always thought that the cams were the same… but i guess thats why im not a mechanic.

Another thing, if the stock comp ratio on an SOHC is 11:1, and the stock comp ratio on a DOHC is 9.5:1 (not sure, but for this prupose lets say that it is) wont the SOHC consume more gas than the DOHC, as its running less effieciently?

actually…only certain SOHC’s have that high compression…the others are 8:5:1 or 9:5:1…but ive heard that a sohc other than the 11:1 will handle boost better than a stock DOHC…but DOHC is better for turbo because it has more kits, cams, etc etc…but for a cheap turbo setup i would use my sohc

stock compression isnt 11:1.

i said a NA ka with 11:1 compression, igintion, header and exhuast you will love…wow this is going back a few years.

dosnt a sohc with a dohc head give you something like 11:1 cr?

o ok sorry dude…but there are some lucky sohc with that compression

DOHC head doesnt fit the SOHC KA block due to the vavle guides on the pistons

to run a DOHC head on a SOHC block you need to use DOHC pistons.

The deckheight of the SOHC & the DOHC blocks are the same, so swapping heads wont result in a compression increase.

you got proof

Liek i said im not a mechanic man…so NO lol.

lol

ok this has been eating me for a while.

Osad, every time i see your avatar, i laugh. Personally i think it looks like a retarded cousin of an s13…

iduno what it is man, but frick that car looks like its mentally retarded…

not that i could draw any better.

Wow… this is a pile of random stuff being thrown around without any supporting evidence.

Fact: the SOHC and DOHC KA are total wood when stock.
Fact: there are more “ready to go” turbo kits for the DOHC than SOHC

If you’re new to cars, that’s all you need to know. Then again, if you’re new to cars, you should be getting an SR anyway. It’s your best choice for a car that you will need to drive to school/work every day, and can’t afford to have it be down with the engine being rebuilt. Spend the money, get it done right. Do all the reliability mods, don’t run over 12psi boost.

IMO the sohc is better . i have a SOHC ka , upgraded to the newer DOHC .
If I could , I would go back with the sohc .
Do you have any idea how close I came to sell my entire kit just to buy the SOHC motor Adam has for sale right now ?

That 's just my personal opinion. :cry:

HAHHA, well i cant draw for my life either…UNITE. But umm i took a shot at it and thats what i came up with…i just ahvent gotten aroudn to drawing anything better, or just using something else. Im sorry if tis not up to your usual level of drawings…

But on the other hand, im glad i ahve brought some laughter to soemone’s world :wink:. Ill change it maybe…gimme a suggestion.

sohc and doch are both gutless in NA form…so i would pick the sohc motor cause its simpler and easier to work on…