Ka24DE swap info

Ka engines lost all their value cuz the SR20 or CA18 replaced them. You should tried last year, you woulda been able to sell it $500 easy; since they were such a popular demand due to SOHC engine failures.

do you know any mechanics? I know like 5 people who came in with a blown 240 and asked for a new engine, and the DOHC was the next best thing. SR20’s were no good then cuz no one wanted to bother speaking japanese or looking into finding a place to get em. plus, if you have a 240sx and you dont care about performance, why the hell would u want a turbo charged japanese engine? not only is emissions harder to pass, you have to pay for more fuel(milage) and you wont want another sohc since the fist one didnt work out for you. The sohc are horrible, mine blew too. Im just savin up for me DET

the SOHC is just as good of an engine as the DOHC is. It may not be as powerful but reliability wise, there both equal.

Hey Andrew, didn’t you sell your own KA for $400 just a while back?? :roll:

Some of you may have purchased an engine at one point in your life, and it ended up a problem motor, or just a peice of junk. Im selling a good motor. The price of the motor is not outragous IMO. The important thing is, that whoever buy’s the darn thing will at least know they are not getting a pile of Iron.

Andrew sold his engine with the tranny for that price.

And why would anyone swap in a DOHC for the place of a SOHC?

You would need more than just the engine.

• Engine
  • ECU
  • Cluster
  • PS Lines
  • PS Rack
  • ECU Harnes
  • Rad Hoses
  • Etc.

Its just as much work as installing a SR20.

I owned a SOHC and boy could that engine take a beating…

Ive herd fewer complaints about the SOHC than the DOHC.

Driven my sohc with timing problems for the last three years and the thing just wont die on me as some have stated they are both reliable and i must agree there is no point swapping a sohc for a dohc.

Cheers

Bryce

What the hell? Where did this come from?

I like my SOHC just fine. Feels almost stronger than a DOHC (haven’t driven many though…)

Whoever wants to do it, do it, but it’s not worth it if you’re keeping the engine stock.

urgh!, no ones going to swap a perfectly fine SOHC for a DOHC, but when u have a blown SOHC, whats the point of going back to another one if you can get a DOHC easier?
and yes, I heard and seen many problems with the SOHC engine, just wait and see once u get closer to the 250,000 mark, youll start noticing a diffrence, if not, then good job driving the way you do.

edited by marc

im at 247,000KM on my SOHC and it runs perfect! i replaced the timing chain and guides last year and thats pretty much the only problem i have run into and i drive the car pretty hard.

DUDE THE SWAP IS ALOT OF WORK!!!

ya i know, but would u rather have a car with no engine?. and pearls13, were you driving it like that for a while or did u just get the car? Your already starting to have a few minor problems, I got my 240 to about 314 and one day it just blew, now its dead. The small things are evidence of you engine coming to an end. at least it was for me.

my KA24E is almost at 270k km. and im not gonna do anything to it. besides oil change what not. the thing just loves to eat teh gas now, and i wouldn’t mind getting a DOHC with 140k km for $300 and swapping that in. sure the SR20DET is a great beautiful engine but, im not racing my car well not yet, a SOHC is enough to drift but if my SOHC goes byby which it already is with its crappy gas chuggingness, ill go DOHC cause i not have money for a SR

or even pick up another SOHC for $100 that has 100k km less than mine i have seen em for sale on these boards they’ll be for sale again.

thank you, im sure im not the only one who would suggest that brilliant idea, unlike others who have a big bank account. Sohc arent perfect and having a mint DOHC for $300 is a good deal. Lots of work or not, its worth spending a weekend to save on gas and problems.

The DOHC also can handle more stress on itself. Did any of you see those all motor Drag Races? Sohc’s fastest is like 11.36 but the Dohc’s run up to 10.12

ka24e 's are bloddy indestructible, i cant seem to kill a certain one, it refuses to even cough blue smoke

when i first got the car it wasnt making the rattle at start up, it started doing it a while after so i drove it like that for a little but i started getting worried that i would screw things up so i got it fixed. I’ve put about 51,000KM on my car since i got it and the timing chain issue is the only thing that has caused me problems.

Than you havent sceen the oil pan of my old engine :stuck_out_tongue:

Didn’t you ever see a Nissan Hardbody with a blown engine? anyway, for those doing the swap, might wanna see this: http://www.zilvia.net/faqs/archive/SOHCtoDOHC.asp