drove to Endicott yesterday, came home with....

this…

what a day… left rochester at 6am, got down there around 9am. Did the purchase stuff.

I then get no more than 2 miles from the dealer and the radiator blew up. Turns out that the previous owner had this happen also and decided the right solution was to jb weld a pcv pipe in there and cover it with the radiator hose.

So I called ryan who was just thrilled to have to delay his saturday plans to come take a look. He managed to source a radiator and we got the car running in a couple hours. My hat is off to you sir…

It’s a 328ic, 5spd, all the usual options… 190hp,20x tq.
32 mpg average on the highway @ 75 on the way home made me happy.

There will be a build thread up and coming, maybe even an evo for sale.

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5478&d=1221398930

cool, what model is that aaron?

So you won’t be buying the M3… lol.

Sucks about the radiator. I know how that feels.

it’s a 328ic and sorry ryan, I won’t be buying you car in the short term - but if you have any parts you want to sell off we can always talk.

I wanted a comfortable convertible daily driver… I plan to sell the evo and buy a more more track oriented RWD car that’s just barely street legal.

OMG, this BMW needs an M3 LSD / gear ratio by yesterday…

If i made it 2 miles from the dealer and had a radiator go, I would drive that shit right back and leave it there.

I considered it… but the deal was still right (if not better now). I expect several more problems before it’s stable really… it’s a project car, purchased at a project price.

nice buy, i’d love to have one of those…

sounds like someone else is getting into 240’s…lol

Glad everything is good with the car Aaron. I can’t wait to see what it’s going to look like after you start working on it.

I spent today working on the issues for the one power window that has problems… the motor is fine, but the regulator is shot. So I so either modify the current one (remove the clutching system that protects fingers from getting crushed) or buy a new regulator. Either way, it’s complete hell to get the units in and out of the door because it requires removing the window and some rivets and a bunch more stuff… this should be fun.

Yeah, I saw the car when Aaron stopped by with it, and got a ride in it and it does ride nice and is very quiet.

Can’t wait to see it once you get everything done you had mentioned before.

FWIW, a lot of times the radiator comes apart due to high coolant pressure from a failed water pump impeller. It’s worth a look.

^^ Agree … i have a new one that i bought for my 328is but never put it in after i found the car had its replaced already.

let me know if you are interested

I <3 my 328i, good buy. :tup:

what an odd purchase…

what? I thought the M3 ratio was super long? IIRC a common swap is the 325/328 Diff into the M3 to shorten it all up a little bit.

3.46 in the m3 to the 3.96 of the 325?

how do you have the new reg. for it? and not a temp one?

the higher the number, the shorter (quicker) the gearing, right?

my 328 sits at 2700 rpms in 5th gear @ 75 mph. ryanmcell told me his car is at like 3200.

now I’m all confused.

as far as the radiator goes… I think I might ride this free one out for a bit, and if it pops again I’ll do the full 9 yards of repairs…

Just keep a good eye on things. If a poorly-circulating pump happened to take it out once, it could lead to worse problems the next time.

the car still has a 60 day warranty, but if I make ryan lose any more money on this car I think he’ll pull the shotgun (or golf club) out when I show up for another radiator.