DSLR Noob ?'s

well i picked up a Canon EOS camera today, been trying to play around w/ it. def need to do alot of reading. i just took a couple of bs pics around my apt and i noticed a decent amount are blurry. so i’m asuming these type of cameras dont have antishake? so i guess i’ll have to buy a tripod as well?

now i came from a straight up point and shoot sony. so excuse me if my questions are stupid, just trying to get more informed and enjoy the shit outta my new camera :slight_smile: thanks in advance for any advise guys

Were you shooting with flash?

If you got blur I’m guessing no, and the camera was slowing down the exposure to compensate for the low light. Slow exposure with even a tiny bit of movement = blur. In low light with no flash you really need a tripod.

I’ve learned a lot since getting my D40 here:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

If your leaving it in auto, and not using the flash, then yes it will blur. What camera model is it? EOS is a system within a whole line of cameras.

Stabilization isn’t within the camera body either, it’s the lenses that will have that.

Yea… canon’s name for “anti-shake” is IS or image stabilization. It helps to a certain extent but simply if you are in a situation that is far too low light and not using a flash it will either be blurry or too dark.

lots of good info on the site JayS posted, fairly confident if you read through everything on there and understood it you would be in great shape :stuck_out_tongue:

thanks for the info guys, went out today w/ alot better results. i love the macro style pics- the camera is a canon eos 300d. and yeah i noticed w/o flash=blur thanks for the info guys. any other suggestions for a dslr noob

Get a real (not built-in) flash for using indoors, one that you can “bump” the flash off the ceiling if you want. Makes a world of difference in indoor picture quality.

BJ’s wholesale club had the 8MP kit reduced down to $399,not a bad deal.

Thats the Rebel XT. The Best buy on the BLVD clearanced out theirs for $220. I was pissed because they sold them real fast. I would have bought it for a gift or something. Not bad for a starter cam.