dsm gurus please step in...

so i am having some dsm issues…:rolleyes:

car is a 1991 tsi awd.
-86k.manual trans.

car sometimes starts,sometimes doesnt.

cranks great…but sometimes just wont turn over…other times it will start and sit at 2k idle…other times 1.5k…other times idles normal(around 1k)…tried doing some research…possibly isc?

i just cant figure it out.

any help…or ways to diagnose this problem would be helpful!

“Cranks” and “turns over” are the same thing, so I assume you mean sometimes it wont fire?

Next time it cranks and cranks, but doesn’t fire, check your tach and see if it bumps a little with the starter cranking. That will be your first big clue.

right…like it almost starts…it feels like its out of gas…but its not.it just sometimes wont fire up…sometimes it does.so confusing!

Remove your ECU, remove the cover and smell it. If it smells like dead fish, it probably has a capacitor or two leaking.

Il give that a try.thanks.

well im pretty sure its the ecu.it doesnt smell quite right.no visible damage though.

it was starting/idling good yeterday…but il prob. replace it.

was thinking about doing the evo 8 ecu swap…anyone have any experience…or heard of that swap for that matter?

I have done the swap in a couple 2g dsms it is fairly time consuming but not too hard. There are a couple good write ups on dsmtuners about it. As for your ecu, capacitors leaking should be visible. There are only 3 capacitors on the board- they are round cylinder shaped components.

whats my best option?

Buy a used one and swap it in or get it repaired. There’s a really good guy out in Chicago that is awesome with repairing them and has a bench test rig setup to make sure everything works before he sends them back out.

Steve P

This guy

Yup this guy is good, he guided me with my isc/ecu issue before.

so…where do i find this guy? lol.

A google search revealed this.

http://simon.chi.il.us/ECU/ECURepair.html

i told you gary has 2 eprom ecu’s with dsmlink 2 or 3. man up and shh

Ummm, in the hyperlink I posted with his name…

For those that don’t know how to click his name you can click this one since it’s much larger. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/members/steve-164.html

you bought another dsm? ugh

it doesnt show the link…unless i put my cursor over his name…which i didnt do at the time…MY BAD.

burch prolly has like 5 of these sitting on his kitchen table…pm him or call = problem solved…
get this running so we can run : )